Phone Number Mixup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freehandbanana, Oct 14, 2011.

1. freehandbanana macrumors newbie

So, I messed up when ordering two new phones last week. I was trying to get two phones, one white and one black, but I mixed up the phone numbers when I was ordering, the black phone was purchased for Phone Number A, and the white phone was purchased for Phone Number B, and I need Phone Number A on the white phone and Phone Number B on the black phone. (Hope that makes sense...)

When the phones arrived today, I thought I could just switch the SIM cards, but when I go to activate, it still shows the number for which the phone was purchased, i.e. the wrong one. Anyway to do this without going through AT&T, there support lines and stores are presumably crazy busy right now...

Thanks in advance.

2. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

I think you have to call them and switch IMEI numbers on the line. If Dave006 is around, I'm sure he can provide a much better answer.

3. freehandbanana thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I was afraid of that. Do you think I should wait to switch before I activate them, or would it be better to activate each and then switch them?

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

That's all you have to do. Swap sims and call your provider to swap phones on the accounts. Activate and swap, or swap and activate, either way.

5. freehandbanana thread starter macrumors newbie

6. freehandbanana thread starter macrumors newbie

Just adding this here for anyone in the same situation later on.

Do not attempt to switch the SIM cards on the phones prior to activation. Activate the phones with the SIM cards they shipped with, and then have AT&T do the IMEI swap or whatever.

AT&T CSRs messed up my phones pretty badly today by adding new SIM cards to unactivated phones. I just got off the phone with the Project Management Center, who informed me I need to procure 4 SIM cards from the store tomorrow, and then call them back in order to fix the problem.

So, bottom line, definitely Activate and THEN Swap.

Thanks.