phone putting mbp to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bow Rekk, May 19, 2009.

1. Bow Rekk macrumors member

This is crazy. I just put my phone down on my laptop (on the speaker grille next to the power button) and it immediately went to sleep. Moving it and putting and putting it back again seems to wake it up.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I doubt it's a bad thing just really intriguing.

I have tried it with a few mates phones and it doesn't work. Just my sony ericsson c510 with bluetooth on or off - doesn't matter.

Madness.

2. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure there's a magnet or something under the grill area there that is activated when you close the lid on it. Your phone might be acting as the lid?

3. The General macrumors 601

It's called "harmful interference." Don't put your phone there any more.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Like The General said it's not a good thing. That is why your computer is going to sleep. so STOP

5. moiety macrumors member

It certainly wouldn't be the Bluetooth, but you can sleep an MBP using the infrared port through the Apple Remote. If your phone has infrared, turn it off.

6. goMac macrumors 603

Sounds like your phone is improperly shielded.

7. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

It's not bad at all. The computer is going to sleep because there is a magnetic sensor on the middle right hand side of MBPs. The display has a small magnet in it besides the one in the middle to keep it shut. When the magnet from the display comes close to the sensor, the MBP thinks that the lid is shut. You can do this with any small magnet. It simply means that your phone has a small magnet in it. It's most likely from the speaker inside your phone.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dunno. it just doesnt seem natural somehow i guess.

9. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

Thanks, I think that's what I was trying to say:D