Phone randomly buzzes ... ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by purly, Oct 12, 2009.

1. purly macrumors newbie

I just got the 3GS maybe a month ago. Before that I had the original, and it never had this symptom.

Basically, I will be sitting around doing nothing, and my phone will randomly vibrate once as if I have a text message. But when I check, there is no text message and none of my applications have a notification.

Has anyone else seen this happening? I can't figure out what it is. It's like having a phone that cries wolf.

2. admo macrumors member

It can be a couple things. It also vibrates when you get a new email. Perhaps that is it? You mentioned none of the apps have a notification number, so probably not.

Another thing that comes to mind is there is a very real phenomenon where people can feel their phone vibrate in their pocket when in reality it hasn't. Do you only notice this when it is in your pocket?

3. Bono2Beagle macrumors newbie

Me too

I've been having the same problem and I think it started with the 3.1 update. I'll get a vibration, np texts or VM, then I'll open my mail and then mail will appear and then vibrate again once it physically arrives. I've restored and everything and it still does this. Oh, and my battery power is worse too.

4. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

I have the same problem. Phone will be sitting on desk NOT in silent mode when it will just vibrate. I check the phone, no texts, no email, nothing!

5. CLuv macrumors 6502

Do you have Gmail on your phone using IMAP? If so, this could be it, sometimes mail will come in you go to check it's not there, but you refresh your Inbox and the mail is there. This is more than likely causing your buzzing.

6. Bono2Beagle macrumors newbie

I do have gmail on imap, but why has this started happening all of the sudden? What can be done to eliminate this?

7. CLuv macrumors 6502

No clue, the only thing I've noticed is that gmail over IMAP isn't that great. Doesn't seem to be implemented fully/correctly/properly. Choose the word you like. I see a similar issue on Blackberries with gmail using IMAP, at least with the Curve and the Tour.