Phone randomly rebooting/shutting down

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ehmjay, Nov 18, 2016.

1. ehmjay macrumors member

So for the last couple months I've been experiencing an INCREDIBLY annoying bug on my phone.

Basically the phone will just randomly reboot while I'm using it. The screen will go black for a second, the white pinwheel will show for about 30 seconds and I'll be kicked to the unlock screen. The weird thing is touch ID will work, meaning the phone hasn't actually rebooted (since if you actually shut down and reboot the phone it will require your passcode to enable touch ID).

But it goes deeper.

If I'm not actively touching the screen when it decides to randomly reboot (like say I'm just walking and listening to a podcast or music) it completely shuts the phone down. And I mean completely. The first time it happened I thought maybe it had somehow bricked itself because even hitting the power button did nothing. The only way to get it to start up again was to hold the home button and power button and force a restart.

This has become an incredibly frustrating daily occurrence. If it was just the randomly kicking me to the lock screen it'd be one thing, but having the phone completely shut down on me is starting to become a real problem. It's not related to battery life - this could happen when the phone is at 90% at the start of my day. And it's not like some of those other weird battery bugs where it seems to be dead but then you reboot your phone and suddenly you somehow have 30% power again.

I'm guessing my only real recourse is to restore from factory default (meaning I'll lose all my data), since it's probably a software problem and restoring from a backup means I would be re-installing said bug. Either way, I would love to know if anyone else is having the same problem. I'd love to report the bug to Apple if at all possible.

2. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

No matter what you will have to restore from factory as a first option