iPhone XS Phone randomly unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bamorris2, May 15, 2019.

1. bamorris2 macrumors newbie

My phone is occasionally completely unresponsive. Screen won’t turn on at all. After several minutes, it will reset and come back to life by holding volume and power buttons. Troubleshooting so far has included resetting phone and setting up as new, and exchanging for new phones at the Apple Store twice. It still happens about 2-3 times per week. It will be fine when I’m using it, set it down and it’s dead when I pick it up again. The battery is not the issue. All apps are updated and I’m always on the most recent iOS version (12.3 as of last night).

Any ideas how I can troubleshooting further? The Genius Bar folks say it could just be an iOS or phone design bug.

2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I know this is a bit unrelated but my iPad has the same problem as well in a week. Almost 10 times in total already. Did not notice any freeze/lag on my new iPhone XS Max just yet.

3. now i see it macrumors 68040

Since this problem isn't common and you're using the latest iOS, (same as millions of other people) my guess is your replacement phones are defective too. If they all came from the same batch, they likely have to same problem.

I say return it (again) and roll the dice again. Maybe you'll be lucky this time.
    When you set it up, set it up as virgin new and don't install any apps on it for a while to verify that it's running stable.

4. rdev02 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat with iphone 8. I noticed that this becomes more of an issue when the connectivity is bad. Phone becomes literally unusable. Everything is slow: screen lock, app swipe, everything. Rebooting it fixes it for undetermined amount of time. I'm considering backing up stuff and going into the store for a replacement.