Phone required to generate Label?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blazinbell, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Blazinbell macrumors member

Does the carrier need to have the phone in order to generate a label??
    I was charged sept 21st and was created a label. Ups mychoice has been showing in transit to ups since then

iPhone 7+ mb 128 T-Mobile
    Ordered 9/9 1240pm est
    New line
    9/27-10/6 delivery date

2. Blazinbell thread starter macrumors member

3. Mrbobb, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

Mrbobb macrumors 601

Nope. A label only mans "I have the intention of shipping an item" but whether item is currently available the shipper doesn't care. So your phone is probably sitting in a "ready to ship" status but have not left Apple's warehouse. The indication that the shipping has actually commenced is when you get a message that says "UPS [location] has accepted this package."

But I have notice UPS status is not always accurate, I think it depends on the type of service it's shipped under, sometimes I get lots of return status, as if following a truck, and sometimes I get minimum status and BAM!, the package shows up. What I notice is, the estimated delivery date is fairly accurate. If you get a range on the delivery date, that means they haven't decided exactly how to ship you package (plane, truck, third party etc), but you can trust the worst delivery date.

4. Blazinbell thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clearing thins up!!

5. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

The carriers are notorious for putting any phone ordered into ready to ship status instantly. Doesn't matter if they have the item or not. That way the order can't be cancelled by the purchaser.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Well I'd be less cynical on this regard. Businesses do this all the time. Construction companies order raw materials BEFORE they actually obtain the permit to build because there is always a lead time for ordering stuff and if they wait for the license to come through, they would have lost another x-days, and time is money.

7. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

A person ordering a phone is not a business. They want to make sure that a potential customer doesn't go someplace else because the carrier actually doesn't have the item they want.