Phone ringer and txt message vibrate question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Marco44, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Marco44 macrumors member

Hello, I just got the iphone4(my first iphone ever) and I find it hard to believe that when my phone is on loud so that my ringer rings when I receive a call I cant have my txt msgs receiving as simply a vibrate. Does anyone know how to fix this or am I just being a noob? Thanks. If it isn't clear what I am asking please let me know

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Start believing it. You can try downloading a "silent" ringtone and see if it lets you select that as the SMS alert, but it didn't work for me.

3. Marco44 thread starter macrumors member

I don't want a silent ringtone for my sms. I want it to ring for a call and buzz for an sms. The phone is incredible but this is seriously annoying. On my past blackberries I could always chose exactly what sounds or buzzs that came out of it. This is supposed to be user friendly:mad:

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, I know. On the older iPhones the way to do it was to assign a silent tone to the text messages, but this no longer works. Apple decided that you didn't need this feature, so they didn't include it. Deal with it.

5. Marco44 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not going to "deal" with it. It's absolutely retarded. My phone is jailbroken does any one know any way of setting it up myself somehow?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you can figure out how to jailbreak your phone, you should be able to figure out how to do what you want. Try googling your problem, perhaps. That's what I did, and what do you know... it's exactly what I suggested in the first place.

7. Marco44 thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't replacing it with nothing just make it do nothing not vibrate? Anyone else feel the same way / have a solution?

8. Marco44 thread starter macrumors member