phone rings and ... cannot answer

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by aicul, Nov 18, 2013.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

This is an annoying - actually irritating - behaviour I notice with ios7.

When the phone rings I actually cannot answer the phone. I swipe the screen as indicated but nothing.

Sort of seems like the iPhone is too busy doing whatever and not giving my swipe any attention.

Eventually the caller is transferred to voicemail.

I have noticed this on both iPhone4 and iPhone5 with ios7.

Never had any issues with ios6 on the same phones.

2. hafr macrumors 68030

It's a fairly common problem with iPhones. I've had it happen on all of mine except for the 5. What usually works when you can't answer a call is to flip the mute switch on and off (or off and on, if it was already on) and then answer.

3. minimo3 macrumors regular

That's happened to me too. Never had a problem with earlier versions, but with ios 7 sometimes it takes multiple swipes before it answers the call, and at other times it seems like it doesn't register the swipe at all.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I had this with my 5 and Apple replaced it. I've had no such trouble with my new 5S though.

5. gsilver macrumors member

I have this problem on my 5S super annoying. I have to swipe at least 5 times on occasion to get the phone to answer.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sounds like an IOS issue rather than hardware...Funny though, It's never happened to me.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same here. Hopefully fixed in 7.1?!

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Have it also on my 5s. Have to try multiple times before it actually answeres phone. This phone obviously only been on IOS7 but never had this issue with my 4s.

9. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I have it too, but it seems random. As if the RAM is trying to get memory to give the phone priority.

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I've never had this issue. Phone calls always answer correctly on the first swipe.

iPhone 5 64GB, iOS 7, AT&T.

11. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

This happens to me constantly, The one thing that irritates me the most.going to update to 7.4 tonight. Hope it fixes this problem.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Never has happened to me. Then again every time a new version/build of iOS comes out I restore my phone as NEW when I set it up and never restore from backup.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Even for the more trivial x.x.x updates? How do you get all your data and everything else back on your device each time (if you don't use a backup)?

14. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

My feeling too.

Not sure if the number of "me to" replies is reassuring.

Noticed an iOS7 update waiting defined as "multiple fixes" maybe this one will be resolved.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

-Contacts are stored in iCloud and will download even if you setup your phone as NEW and do not restore from backup.

-Apps are in the cloud and can be re-downloaded. I don't use any apps that store data.

-Music can be downloaded from the cloud or synced through iTunes.

-Text Messages I don't keep. If I've read them I delete them. If it's needed I copy/paste to Notes (Which stores in iCloud)

- Email for obvious reasons is already in the cloud so no need to back this up either.

- Photos I keep in dropbox

The only hassle is re configuring settings on the phone and settings inside each app. I've done this so many times I can do the entire thing in about 10 minutes. I even memorized my app icon placement on the springboard.

So in conclusion I can rebuild my phone back to how I have always had it within 30min tops so it's easy for me to restore NEW after each update.

16. piecloud macrumors member

I have the same issue. For some reason I thought it was ios 7 + Verizon issue. Does anyone have this issue in ATT or T-mobile?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a problem exclusive to iOS 7. I'm still on iOS 6 (AT&T) and I encounter this frequently on two different iPhone 4S models. It happened with the iPhone 4 and still occurs with the 4S models. Usually when it happens, the swipe to answer is not there, replaced by a red and green button, red to decline and green to answer. Tapping anywhere on the screen is useless, as all input is ignored.

18. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Clearly you have this under control.

But does this guarantee that the "unreactive swipe" will not come about ? Or that a full reset does resolve the issue.

My impression is more that the Phone App is eating up so many available resources that the touch-controller does not get attention.

One would think that touch-controller is given due resources when a phone call arrives.

19. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I had this problem on iOS 5, 6, and 7 on my iPhone 4 occasionally. And I still sometimes see it on my new 5s. Never found a way around it. Just have to deal.

20. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

This is what happens when the "phone" in "iPhone" is more of an afterthought. I had this happen too and thought it was just my clumsiness (even though I'm actually not clumsy really).

So that's bad - but the cheek-dialing since iOS7 drives me absolutely crazy.

21. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

For me this is a first (had iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and now 5). And I only saw this on my 5 after I installed iOS7. That's why I'm trying to understand the cause.

I don't think its the installed APPs because I have my iPhone4 setup with the same APPs (iphone 5/ios7 and 4/ios6 are my business phones so I set them up identically).

Really wonder what triggers the difference.

----------

You mean that you actually dial with your cheek whilst talking on the phone ? This is bad as it was one of the "cool" features Steve presented on iPhone 1 !!! :confused::confused:

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not saying I have all the answers. It's just I've never seen that behavior that's all :)

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, while this certainly might be an issue of some sort, it doesn't seem to be one that is widespread by any means.