Phone settings shows 937 pics, but camera roll only 393

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ksstang, Jan 19, 2015.

1. ksstang macrumors newbie

So I called Apple Support regarding this only for the not so helpful lady on the other end to basically tell me there was nothing I could do. I highly doubt that.

Anyway, I noticed earlier while plugged in to iTunes that it was showing I was taking up a ton of space on my phone (5s) with pictures. Between my pictures (387) and videos (5) I have a total of 393. On the phone if I go to Settings>General>About its showing 987. What the heck is going on?

I tried backing up and resetting to factory, and then loading my backup only to see nothing changed. I do not use iCloud or any of that nonsense. I have the option to unchecked to save originals, so it's only saving the HDR images.

I'm beyond confused and really hoping someone can help me straighten this out so I can gain some storage back on my phone.

Thanks,

Kyle

2. wongster macrumors regular

if you have "my photo stream" on, it will double it up your picture count. if you want it to be normal. turn off my photo stream. that was one reason i didn't want the camera roll back when they took it away.

3. ksstang thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, how do I go about doing that?

----------

I found it and it's already turned off.

4. wongster macrumors regular

what do you see in your photo app? my phone setting shows 627 and that matches to what i have in my photo app. 304 camera roll, 317 photo stream, 5 panoramas, 1 momentcam

5. ksstang thread starter macrumors newbie

My phone setting shows 987. My photo app says Camera roll 374, panoramas 1, videos 5, recently deleted 0

----------

In settings it also says I have 19 videos, and in the photo app I actually have 5 like mentioned.

6. wongster macrumors regular

what does it show when you look into the usage of the phone memory for photos & camera?

7. ksstang thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

Just for kicks, check the Video app itself ... do you have 14 videos in there that get counted in your videos total in Settings? Just curious if it is an accounting bug (I don't have anything in the app, so can't tell)

9. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

I have the same problem. Both itunes and the phone say I have more pictures than I have. I plan to reset the phone and see what happens.

10. CIVY macrumors newbie

Same problem!

I have the same problem and I've been working on it for awhile. I thought updating would fix the bug ('d read another thread that said it did), but no luck. In my settings, ->General ->About it says I have 44 videos and 235 Photos. In my Photo app, it says I have 24 photos on my Camera Roll, 20 on My Photo Stream, and 5 Videos. 0 Recently Deleted, and 1 Instagram photo for a total of 45 photos and 5 videos. My memory has been tapped out and it's driving me nuts. I had to delete apps in order to update. It said my pictures were taking up 5+ GB before updating and I didn't have enough memory to update.

Anyway, updating didn't change my problem, so I synced, and it put a ton of old pictures from photo stream back on my phone. I went through and deleted 900+ pictures after making certain they were saved on my computer where photo stream can't get them. Then I deleted the folder they were in. I now have a working photo stream folder (and only one.), and old photo stream pictures saved on my hard drive.

Now, after all that work, I still have the same problem, but my photos only take up 3.8 GB now. I'm expecting that this will be a problem again very soon, and want to know if anyone has a fix! I think it's those 44 videos it thinks I have that are taking up all the space, but I have no idea where they are!

(Also, no videos in videos app itself.)

11. jahall05 macrumors regular

Do you send a lot of photos through SMS/iMessage?

Go to those message threads, press details, hold on the photos until it says "more"...tap more and delete what you don't need.

Does that make a difference?

12. l.p.fitz. macrumors newbie

i have the same problem except my settings say 730 photos and 40 videos and i only have about 10 photos and no videos on my phone…anyone able to help?

13. CIVY macrumors newbie

Deleting picts in messages

jahall05,
    I send occational photos via message, and my message app was taking up a lot of space (aka roughly 200mb, which is a lot when you're trying to download the update!). So, I went in a simply deleted every message thread (who really reads old text messages?). Unfortunately, it hasn't helped the photo memory issue... But thanks for offering the suggestion! Let me know if you have any more ideas!

14. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Did you delete any photos recently? If so, be aware they may still be there. With iOS8, deleting a photo isn't the same thing as removing it from the hard drive. To remove your recently deleted photos, go to the "Recently Deleted" photo album, tap "Select," then tap "Delete All."

15. CIVY macrumors newbie

deleting deleted photos

I've been deleting my photos and then deleting my "recently deleted" photos. Deleting photos twice, in essense, throughout this process. Thanks for the suggestion.

16. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

Just curious, are you using the new iCloud Photo Library that came out with iOS 8? I have to wonder if being in "beta" form there are bugs like this with it. I don't use it, and don't seem to have this problem.

17. CIVY macrumors newbie

That is a great suggestion, but I already have the iCloud Photo Library turned off. I had to check, though since that seemed like a feasible possibility. I'm pretty stumped here!