Phone shocks me when plugged in to power adaptor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dschima, Nov 19, 2008.

1. dschima macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3g that I just bought about a month ago, it was an upgrade from the original model. When it is charging via the power adaptor and I get a phone call and have the phone up to my ear I can hear an electrical buzzing and if i move it slightly I feel a little shock on my ear like an electrical discharge or something. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal and want to know if I should get it checked out. Anyone else having this problem?

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Your not using it in the bathtub, right?

No that's not normal. I use my phone plugged in all the time and have never heard a buzzing sound or received an electrical shock.

Pretty sure you should stop by an Apple store (bring the power adapter and cord, too, just to make sure it's not one of those).

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Yes, definitely bring it in. Has it happened to you more than once?
    It's better for your safety! Hope things work out ok!

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Stop using it and bring it in. That definitely should not be happening and sounds rather dangerous.

5. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

It's happened to me a few times when my iphone is plugged into my laptop. I sometimes receive a small shock near my ear but no buzzing sound. Only happens on laptop but not when using pc.

6. Artificial-I macrumors newbie

Im getting the shock too. I have a 1st gen. Wall outlet only. Youll get it if you put your ear real lightly to it...basically enough for a small gap for electricity to jump and zap you. You can also try your lip , just barely skip it across , it does it to me and barely my woman.

7. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Stop using it and take it back to where it was purchased. That is a dangerous condition that could harm you.

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

9. purge98 macrumors newbie

Try spraying water on it first and see if that helps.
    It should allow the electricity to flow more easily through the wires and not to your lips.

10. yupitsnuge macrumors newbie

I googled this and this is the first thing that popped up...

Im getting zapped on my shoulder and ear when i have my phone plugged into the outlet and trying to use it. whats the deal?!?! Its iphone 4.

11. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Avoid all ear licking activity for at least 15 minutes prior to taking a phone call, unless using the speaker phone.

12. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject