Phone suddenly bricked?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ajt1995, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

I left my phone sitting on the desk with Beta 3 running on it... I went to go pick it up and... nothing. Nothing. I plugged it in, nothing. Is it bricked? What can I try? :confused:

The battery was NOT low.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

hold sleep/power button + home button until white apple logo..let go..

3. zmagik macrumors regular

A phone can't be bricked but I think it's in dfu mode search up google how to get out of DFU mode see if that helps
    http://bit.ly/15udeIn

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You know you're probably right. Most people don't realize DFU mode just doesnt show anything on the screen.

5. zmagik macrumors regular

Yes cause this happend to me once and did what you said and it worked

6. ajt1995 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh my gosh! Thanks so much! I was aware of DFU, but when my Mac didn't register "iPhone in recovery" I kind-of panicked..

I'm back with my beloved iPhone... ;)

Why would it go into DFU by itself?

7. zmagik macrumors regular

Don't know happend to me once then searched up google how to get out of dfu it worked

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's possible something went critically wrong and the phone's natural response was to enter DFU mode rather than try to reboot itself.

9. ajt1995 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe... I've had no problems with beta 3 thus far. No reboots, no resprings. so, that was very out of character... Thanks guys, again.

10. zmagik macrumors regular

11. Gav183, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

Gav183 macrumors member

Gav183

Jeebus help me, my iPhone 5 is bricked too. I had it on the night stand with Fitbit Sleep app on, picked it up in the morning and nothing was working. It was on charge all night so the batt was full. I did a reboot but after the Apple symbol it gets the spinning thingy, spins half a cycle then hangs. I tried restoring via iTunes but all it did was hang at Gathering data and then it would turn off, turn on, ge the Apple symbol, then the spinning thing and hang. After a minute or so it will repeat this process.

Thoughts?

OH, and the DFU sequence of home button and power button did nothing to fix it.

Defo a visit to Apple when I get home to Oz.

Gav

12. zmagik macrumors regular

Does your phone have iOS 7 on it?

13. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

Just happened to my iPhone 4. Doing what you said here does work.

14. Gav183 macrumors member

Gav183

Yes, I have a paid Apple developer "subscription" and a registered UDID and iOS7 on the phone with the 2nd Beta update.

Gav

15. newtestleper macrumors 6502

He's about to tell you Apple won't help you with iOS 7 betas. It will be a nice surprise for them if they get it working.

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I'd say u in fact did very much have a problem with beta 3 lol

17. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

If you have a developer subscription wouldn't you get better support for your issues if you posted in Apple's developer forums?

https://devforums.apple.com/community/ios

18. JohnnyW2001, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013

JohnnyW2001 macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

The answer to get out of DFU mode is to unplug it and hold the Power and Home Button until the Apple logo appears.

19. Gav183 macrumors member

Gav183

Good news, at least for me.
    I put my iP5 in DFU mode and then iTunes said the phone needs to restore. Well I'd tried before and couldn't go back to iOS 6 so thought I'd play along to the point where the phone would eventually say it can't downgrade blah blah blah. WELL, it reloaded iOS 6 and now my phone works again. Happy days. I reckon it might have been the crappy internet in Nauru, cos when I got home to Oz all was good.

Gav

20. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Mine did the same the other night. I guess I got it out of DFU mode without realizing. I remember thinking it took about 4 times as long to reboot. Weird.

21. james92se macrumors 6502a

This happened to me 4 times yesterday, would go to pick up the phone and nothing - black screen as if the phone is turned off yet you can't turn it back on. Each time I would just hold the power and home button simultaneously and eventually the phone would turn back on.

Not sure what the deal was yesterday as I've been on ios 7 for about a week and it had never happened prior to yesterday.

Now that I think back, this has happened to me randomly on each of my iPhones over the years. I remember when I first got my iphone 5 last year that it did this same thing just a few days after I got it. It never happened again so I didn't worry about it.

22. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Just wanted to say that I have had this problem with being greeted with nothing but a black screen every now and then when I try to unlock my phone..I've never had this issue with any other iPhone or version of iOS..only now with iOS7 Beta 3 on my iPhone 5. Hoping it will be sorted in beta 4 but glad I'm not the only one it's happening too as I was starting to think my phone was on its way out!

23. Unpede, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

Unpede macrumors newbie

I have the same problem on an iPhone 4 with iOS 7 beta 3.
    So far I can only
    1) enter DFU mode but restoring via iTunes causes errors or
    2) attach the USB power cord to a charger and the phone boots up but asks me to connect it to iTunes. If I disconnect the phone from the charger, screen goes black (I guess it panics).

Didn't find a way to make the phone boot while connected to a computer. It only boots up when attached to the charger.
    Hope beta 4 can be restore in DFU successfully and solves the problem.

Update: After leaving the device attached to the charger for hours, it does not show the connect to iTunes option anymore and allows me to complete the wizard and set it up as a new phone. Works now (an I'm happy).
    Wonder if this is related to the Apple dev site issue...