Phone supposedly unlocked but shows locked!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ramio, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I purchased an unlock for my 6 plus on the bay and today I got a message from the seller saying that it is unlocked. When I checked the imei on one of those imei websites, it shows it as sim locked and carrier unknown. I don't have access to a computer now so how can I test if it is indeed unlocked?. It's an att phone by the way. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

How can I get one without signing up for service?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The best way to test it, is to put your carrier's SIM into the phone and try to use it.

5. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I'm already using with att but I unlocked it so I can use it on an overseas trip soon. I just don't want to get there and find out it's not. The seller says he unlocked it but the online imei checker says locked.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only way to test it,is to use another sim, maybe one of those pay as you go phones and slap that sim into the phone or borrow a friends?

7. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

When I had my i5 unlocked, I did a restore in iTunes and after that it would say "Crongratulations your phone is unlocked"

8. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

That's probably what I'm going to do :)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good luck.

Is this something that maybe you can take to another carrier or apple to check as well?

10. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I'm going to call apple this morning and see if I can get any info. If that doesn't work, I'll go by a T-Mobile store and ask them if it will work on their network as I'm thinking about switching to them which I'm not lol.

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

What I usually do is I buy a non-activated t-mo sim card from target or best buy and insert it. You don't need to activate it and it should still detect a t-mo.

I'm not sure how this will work on iOS, but on Android even if you put in a non-active sim card it will tell you that it's not on the carrier it's supposed to be on and asks you to put in the unlock code that the carrier that is locked on provides to you.

So test it, just go to the store and buy a sim card if they have one and insert it. No need an active sim card.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Simplest / easiest is test using a friend's nano SIM. I'd imagine you know someone with T-Mobile or Verizon service.

Alternately, buy a T-Mobile prepaid SIM activation kit. Usually $10 but watch Slickdeals as T-Mobile very frequently has coupons making them free or 99 cents delivered. Comes with $3 worth of prepaid credit, enough to test with.

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Thanks, that's what I meant to say, just wasn't in my head at the time.

14. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Thanks guys. Do you know if the t-mobile stores has these activation kits and if they do, how much are they as I'm assuming it's not the same price as online.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

When I went looking for one last year I tried a TMO store; I think they were wanting $20. Kicker was they didn't want to sell JUST the SIM, they wanted to ensure I signed up for service and so forth. It was a reminder of why I avoid cell phone stores. :cool:

Alternate idea -- see if Walmart has a Straight Talk nano SIM kit. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-AT-T-Compatible-Nano-SIM-Activation-Kit/34565623

16. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Just checked out the link. So I'm guessing all I have to do is put the sim in and my phone is supposed to detect it if unlocked but no need to sign up for anything, right?.

17. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

AFAIK, Straight talk uses AT&T network so it still works even when the phone is locked to carrier so no way of telling whether the phone is locked or not.

18. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Oops so I guess I'll go the T-Mobile activation kit route. Thanks

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

20. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Another alternative route is, as others have mentioned, if you know someone who has a cellular ipad with nano-sim that isn't AT&T then you can plug that in and see if it works. I did that when I had the AT&T 6 Plus that I purchased device only and wanted to make sure. I had a verizon nano sim from my ipad and it worked fine on my AT&T 6 Plus

21. JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

Don't forget, with the iPhone once the unlock is processed, you have to restore in iTunes for it to take effect on the phone.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Whoops. I was thinking that one backward; my Straight Talk wireless home phone unit rides on Verizon. Thanks for clarifying.

23. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

That's what I said. It's free too. I don't know why the OP won't do this. It willl tell him if the phone is unlocked.

24. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I'm on vacation and don't have access to a pc for a good while. All I have is my 6 plus and a work laptop that doesn't allow me to download iTunes...otherwise I would have done that.