Phone to replace iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 007bond, Sep 25, 2009.

1. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

ok guys im fed up with the data plan on my iPhone. att said if i get rid of the iPhone and get a unlocked phone/another att phone i dont have to get a data plan. i want to buy it on ebay or trade on craigslist. im leaning towards the blackberry 8900. i want a full keyboard as well. any suggestions?

2. zunairryk macrumors regular

3. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

never heard of it. ill check it out

edit: oh wait thats the g1. im not a big fan. dont want a touchscreen anymore

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Verizon now requires you to get a data plan with any smart phone. It's likely that AT&T is either the same or will go that way.

5. zunairryk macrumors regular

checkout nokia e71

6. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

actually, i was thinking the same thing. ill see if there are any on craigslist.

7. MacAngel40 macrumors member

I just wanted to say that I just got my new bill from AT&T (I have an iphone and a blackberry bold) and it had a notice in the bill that states as of 9/5/2009 ALL smartphones will be REQUIRED to carry a data plan and if you do not add the plan yourself that AT&T reserves the right to add the most suitable plan for your phone.

Just a "heads-up".

They have never done this before. As it stands now, if you were using say a blackberry 8900 without a data plan BEFORE 9/5/2009 , then you may continue to do so, but any new smartphone after that must carry an appropriate data plan. Like I said, I just got the new bill that has this info (Oct. bill).

Report : http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009...smartphone-data-plans-starting-september-6th/

and they are talking about it on the att-wireless forums as well.

8. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

3GS :D

9. Buzz Bumble Guest

Nope. Keep the current iPhone and wait for the "iPhone 3GS 2" next year ... it'll include an FM radio. ;)

10. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Don't buy a Nokia. I replaced my old iPhone 3G with a 5800 and regretted every minute of that horrible experience so much that I replaced that POS with a shiny new 3GS after 2 months. Symbian is a crap OS and Nokias these days are not what they used to be.

Samsungs, LGs, etc. have never been good phones and I don't see that changing.

BlackBerrys, though they are good business tools for e-mail, are utterly crap otherwise.

The best non-iPhone I can recommend is the HTC Hero, but you don't want a touchscreen, so I dunno.

11. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

AT&T just turned that way too. Started September. I know as I logged in during August to disable data for my secondary phone (the AT&T Fuze). I may as well cancel and pay the $175 fee... :(

AT&T also told a friend who, like me, has had spotty data service, that they patched some of their systems or towers or whatever lately, so data quality should get back up...

Thx for the info on Verizon... sounds like they all might be pulling the same antics. Which means I hope they keep good track of their systems; mandatory data plans and putting out such bleep-worthy "service" will only make a lot of customers irate. Many already are because of the ongoing spat over the last month that AT&T finally took responsibility for...

12. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

all right will they be able to detect if im using a smartphone if its unlocked phone? also i got att to remove my data plan but i dont know how long that will last. any other good phones for email via wifi and text?

13. chill. macrumors 6502

if you have an unlocked phone then it doesn't look like you are forced to get a data plan (from that article: "Note that this only applies to smartphones purchased from AT&T or a dealer of course, so those of you who opt for unlocked handsets should be unaffected")

do you have an actual problem with the iphone? why don't you just unlock it and keep using it? i have an iphone 2g unlocked for t-mobile with no data plan, i just use wifi for internet usage and it fits my needs

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would be very skeptical of this company They are NOT sellng iPhones, they are selling cheap knockoffs. The help function on their web page gives no address, no phone number.

All indications are this is a SCAM and should be avoided like plague.