Phoneblocks becoming a reality

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by strausd, Oct 28, 2013.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yay, I can't wait to have a phone with a 41MP front and back camera, 128GB flash storage, a 4" screen, a nice gamepad, and two MicroSD slots. :D Just wifi, no NFC, no Bluetooth. Woohoo.

I would seriously go nuts with it. :eek: Probably buy different pieces just to use on certain days. "I'm going on a 18 hour trip today, I need my 72 hour battery attachment and 1080p 6" screen!"

3. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Even though I agree with the pollution that electronics create, this will add even more to it. What do you do with old blocks? Most likely, throw them away!:eek: Not only do you need the hardware, you will need software to handle all of the changes. Cute concept but not realistic.

4. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I have a similar view. I foresee too many issues coming from this. I don't see it becoming a common thing for people to carry around. "Cute" really is a perfect word to describe it.

5. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

"It almost goes without saying, but if Motorola (with Google's backing) can make this work, it's going to be an honest-to-goodness revolution in the smartphone industry." -Android Police on Project Ara

This statement I agree with 100%. I honestly didn't think this concept of phoneblocks will catch on. It was a good concept but I didn't feel that big companies will do it. Well...I was wrong, Motorola really surprised me with this and I say that I will support this project and it will be interesting to see how it will work and how the consumer will receive it when it is available for public in the future.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

While reducing pollution would be great, I just want to be able to build my on phone! :p

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's fantastic. I agree there's a good chance it won't happen, but I disagree that, if it does, it will increase waste.

A lot of people buy a new phone every year or two simply because there is a new phone out and they can, and those people often discard their old phones (or put them in a drawer, then discard them a year or two later).

This idea might very well reduce the overall waste by allowing people to upgrade what they care about upgrading, not everything.

My Nexus 4 is fine. I don't even care that it doesn't have LTE. I don't use NFC. But I'd love to be able to add a new camera and a bigger battery. That's a lot better than a whole new phone, and the previously used modules would be easier to put to good use - you'd think that almost any modules that still worked would be usable by someone, who wouldn't need the technical know-how to replace a broken display, to open a 'sealed" phone to replace the battery, and so on.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If this becomes a reality I'm going to say goodbye to cases! Broken screen? Replace it :D

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've signed up with dScout. There's about a 1:10,000 chance I'll be one of the top 100 users by the end of the feedback time, in which case I'll get a free phone. Or a pamphlet. Or a nice email. Or something. They're not very clear.

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

What does it have to do with this? I'm on their homepage but don't see anything about a modular phone.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

See here. :)

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

14. jsw, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It won't let me submit anything yet, which is not an encouraging sign. I'm starting to think that downloading a free app and supplying personal information isn't a guarantee of receiving free tech.

Edit: I submitted my first snippet! Surely I am destined to receive free goods now.

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Do you mean signing up? I couldn't sign up on Chrome but Safari worked fine. Eh is just a name and an email. What's the worst thing that could happen.

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Become an engineer :D

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So Motorola who don't even offer the basic customisation of the Motorola X outside of the USA wants me to have faith in their build block mobile..... mmmm

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I meant submitting - you download the app, then submit your thoughts to various missions.

There are already over 3K submissions (on my "team" alone? maybe) so I'm thinking the chances of success are low.

----------

Oh please - like you'd be able to buy these outside of the US! Come on. ;)

19. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

20. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

21. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Hmm interesting. I don't see it as something that would appeal to the average consumer.

22. TJH133 macrumors member

we already do this in computers. The OS is not tied directly to the hardware. It goes threw drivers. Google been needing to for a while to make the OS rather independent of hardware not requiring deep modifications to make it run on different devices.

23. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

24. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Motorola Ara

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.jp/2013/10/goodbye-sticky-hello-ara.html

What do you think?

25. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06