Phonecall on OS 10.10

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by darthjames, Jun 17, 2014.

1. darthjames macrumors newbie

Hey - so is this feature working yet?

It looks like I can't force-pair my iOS devices in settings.. and I've never seen it actually work.

I can make facetime audio calls, but can't just call someone, or when my iPhone w/ OS 8 rings it doesnt pop up.

2. HighFlyingBirds macrumors 6502

HighFlyingBirds

I've got the option to phone via iphone in FaceTime but it doesn't connect to my phone yet!

3. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

This feature still seems to be very touch and go :(

4. fox evo macrumors member

Not working for me!! I can send text but not phone calls.

5. bookalon macrumors newbie

just updated to the new beta and made 3 calls with FaceTime to none FaceTime numbers, just switched on bluetooth and made the call- perfect

I'm running a 5S and a mid 2012 MB pro

6. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Did you initiate the calls from your MBP? I just tried on my system, and couldn't.

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

You might want to continue discussion in this existing thread which has been around for a couple of days at least.

8. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

From iOS 8 release note
    "Phone call relay uses Bluetooth when it should be using Wi-Fi. Since not all devices have the necessary Bluetooth support, this may fail on some hardware."

9. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

On my Mid 2013 MBA and CDMA iPhone 5S it will connect (so long as bluetooth is on and connected), and even dial out. However, as the release notes of Beta 2 suggest, audio is not transmitted back and fourth. It also frustrates me that when FaceTime is open, the camera is on. Always. It didn't used to be this way. At this point, I am not sure if that is a bug or not, but I have reported it. Additionally, there is no way for FaceTime to "run" in the background like other apps when you close the window. It actually quits the app. I suspect they will be changing that so that FaceTime doesn't have to launch each time you receive a call, losing precious time to answer before voicemail kicks in.