Phoneclean and app caches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gaanee, Aug 3, 2014.

1. gaanee macrumors 6502a

I have used the Phoeclean to clear app caches and temp files, but I noticed that these caches build up again after launching an app. Facebook app was one of the biggest one.. after clearing the cache, I just launched the app (without even signing in) and it built up the cache again. This happens with other apps as well, but their cache size is relatively small. So, what's the purpose of using Phoneclean?

2. cynics macrumors G4

Help make space to install something that you don't have enough room for. Even an iOS upgrade.

3. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

I suspect its purpose is to make money out of spreading FUD about caches, temp files and other so called 'junk'.

Deleting caches usually just makes apps run slower and use more battery. A device is running at it's most efficient when all spare RAM and storage space is used up with caches.

If you need some free space, delete Phoneclean.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

PhoneClean isn't an app on the phone.

Also, you don't want to fully max our all storage space and even RAM (although RAM isn't as big of a deal as it will free up as needed). But fully maxed out you will feel a performance hit actually as more swapping of data in and out of RAM and caches will need to happen if there's no other space for new data.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Caches and temp files are what makes the phone run faster not slower. Junk software like Phoneclean is the real problem. :mad:

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

real problem how?

8. cynics macrumors G4

Phoneclean and app caches

There is a free version and it's not a phone app. Whether it's actually useful depends on an apps ability to self clear it's cache and not let it run out of control.

----------

It's not designed to speed up an iPhone, it's phoneclean not phonespeed.

----------

Cleaning in any aspect of life is generally temporary or else what ever it is in question wouldn't need to be cleaned in the first place.

----------

I'm not advocating the app but if someone ask about at least know the very basics of what it is before responding.

9. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Thanks, but I was hoping my deliberate use of the word 'spare' would hold off the pedantry at least for a short while, until the OP grasped the essentials of what caches are and why they are good.

I have personally met people who had only ever heard of caches in technical support forums ('clear your cache', 'delete your cache') and thought they were some kind of bug. Apps like this rarely do much to inform their users better. (Note, I'm talking generally here because I looked at the phoneclean website bet was not moved to spend much time there)

10. William Wales macrumors member

William Wales

Temporary files and cache files will build up again, even you use the tool.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's the nature of the beast.

12. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

13. William Wales macrumors member

William Wales

You are right.

14. 89007132 macrumors member

i keep seeing people complaining recently that there isn't a way to clear App cache. This is exactly why Apple won't give users an easy way to do it - people don't know what it does and they get misinformation about it.

If Apple gave an easy way to delete cache people will use it cause they heard cache is "bad." Then these people get a bad user experience from a slower phone, less battery life, more data usage, etc.

15. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

16. HEK Suspended

HEK

Leave memory management to the people who designed the phone. Apple has one of the best ram memory management software built in. Empty ram is useless ram.

Manually wiping it lasts until you do the next thing on your phone, at which time ram memory is again filled. The phone will clear out least used replacing with current needs.

Ram wipe apps are a placebo that cause reloading, battery drain, and interfere with the excellent memory management Apple built into the iPhone.