Phoneless iPhone - Can I Upgrade To 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfpackfan, Mar 6, 2008.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I canceled my AT&T account a few weeks ago. I have a four line Sprint contract that has another year before I can cancel. I was tired of paying the extra $66/month. So my iPhone now has no service. I plan to continue using it as an iPod Touch until my Sprint contract can be canceled and then I'll go back to AT&T. My question is - will I be able to upgrade my firmware? If I try to upgrade won't iTunes see that I don't have an account and require me to activate before I can use the iPhone?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

My guess is you probably won't be able to upgrade without an active account, but I suppose we won't know for sure until late June/early July. Out of curiosity, does your WiFi store work currently? Just wondering if that works and the songs sync back to your computer correctly without your phone being deactivated? I'm thinking if not, then the App Store probably wouldn't work either....

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The last couple of updates have required the phone to be "reactivated" with AT&T, so I think you might be stuck until you have a valid AT&T account...

4. igglepuff macrumors regular

you should be able to upgrade just liek any other firmware update, except youd need to reactivate it after the update i think.

5. hummerjoe macrumors newbie

6. mlg32 macrumors member

best way out of sprint

I saw in jan my bill from sprint had increased about $1.50 per line because they restructured the way the taxes and surcharges were being totaled and so on, so that enabled me to opt out of all 5 lines i had with sprint and NO ETF at all, the poor customer service drove me insane and i was so glad to be rid of that ball n chain. so keep an eye on your bill, if you se changes then you only have 30days from the time the bill was written not recieved to opt out. good luck

7. Hollis macrumors newbie

I've canceled my account with AT&T after getting double billed a few times, and I updated to 1.1.4 afterwards no problem.

8. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Yea, everything works fine on my iPhone just like it did before I canceled the account, except it says No Service on the top bar. I can sync with iTunes, I can go to the iTunes store and everything works fine over WiFi.

9. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

So I guess the only question is if you have to have an active account to upgrade firmware. I think I've seen people in the forums say you do. But I guess worse case scenario you could activate service, upgrade the firmware, and then cancel the service, since AT&T has a 30-day cancellation policy for new accounts, during which time you don't pay the cancellation penalty, just the pro-rated cost of your plan.