Phones4u go into administration

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by The Game 161, Sep 15, 2014.

1. GadgetSN macrumors 6502

Never liked their stores but online they at least provided cheaper rates.

Wierd business model though. Use your commission from networks to undercut the networks direct pricing.

Will CPW follow soon?

2. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Car phone warehouse and curry's/pc world are becoming one in October

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Damn and i was only looking at getting an Alpha from them last week.

Never realised that EE was the biggest network in the UK ???? That to me was an even bigger surprise.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I thought O2 were the biggest. However with EE being a merger between T - mobile and orange I suppose it makes sense.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Weird thing here is that we have dixons /currys/pcworld here in Ireland, and we also have carphonewarehouse. However carphonewarehouse here have gone into partnership (before dixons takeover was announced) with Harvey Norman. So in the nearest town to me (30 miles away) we have a Harvey Norman electronics store with carphonewarehouse - right next to a Currys/PC World ? I wonder what the story is for situations like this is going to be in the next 12 months ?

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Funny thing is they were offering note 4 in gold exclusive

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

We had 6 people in our office who were sweating this morning after ordering iPhone 6's on Friday through Phones4U. I think existing transactions will be honoured though.

They messed me around with the iPhone 5 last time around and I cancelled the order. It put me off even checking them out in future and their stores were always very pushy. Sad for the people losing their jobs though, never nice. The message on their home page seems rather sad.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

From what news outlets are saying, they should be refunding pre-orders, but nobody will be getting phones.

However, once they've brought in the administrators, that may change. Ultimately they have no legal obligation, if they're in administration, they have no legal obligation to give you money back or a phone (one of the most retarded bits of UK law). The administrators will want to keep as much money as possible inside the business, probably so they can siphon more off for themselves.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Oh right okay, well at least they will get their money back touch wood. Its a pain for those who pre ordered though as they may be waiting a few extra weeks now. We were chatting about it this morning and they all used credit cards to pay so this should provide extra coverage I would hope. :)

EDIT: Just found this but it may have changed since it was published last night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ation-as-EE-is-final-operator-to-hang-up.html

10. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Got one near that I pass every day and it was getting increasingly less busy by the week for the past few months.

Bit of a strange business model, unfortunately.

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Rumours are that PWC are the appointed administrators, and given how they handled Jessops' closure (e.g. not giving back cameras that they had taken in for repair!) I would prepare for not getting nothing back. CC chargeback is probably the best way to go.

12. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Vodafone pulled out from Phones4U because it has signed an exclusive deal with CPW, so that will be am impartial store now then :rolleyes:

Three pulled out to sell more online and in their own stores, O2 pulled out claiming P4U contracts only made up about 8% of their business.

EE became the UK's biggest network when Orange and T-Mobile joined up, they pulled out stating they too want to sell more themselves and they didn't like Phones4U business model??

And thus around 6000 people are potentially out of a job from a business with healthy books making around 100 million pounds profit. Utter madness but that's capitalist business for you I guess?

13. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Hopefully that means that all the carriers will get it.

14. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

For those who don't know, the fairly new owners of P4U utterly screwed the company over.

They loaded it up with debts to receive some kind of dividend (no idea how that was meant to work), and now they want to complain about Vodafone dropping out?

Dick move. Those same owners look to make a multi-million pound profit even if the company sinks (along with 5000+ of its workers).