Photo access from explorer (Windows)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eclipse01, Nov 30, 2014.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I like to drag and drop photos off my phone using this method, but for some reason lately I now have MANY folders with a few pictures in each. They don't seem to be organized in any rhyme or reason. Anyone know why this is?

2. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

Because Apple. ;)

3. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

4. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

I just gave you the answer. Anyone else will say the same. There is no good reason for it. It just is. Because Apple.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's been this way since "forever". Here is a good explanation: http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/26/delving-into-the-iphones-dcim-folder/ In short, it's how the iPhone sorts photos for viewing on the device itself. It keeps previews and such loading "buttery smooth" when you are flipping through your camera roll.

By the way, when you are browsing in explorer, if you type * into the search folder it will let you browse all pics as if they weren't in folders. Just a quick tip. :)

6. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

How many photos do you have on the phone? I've only heard of this happening when someone has thousands of photos. It is something to do with how Apple is implementing DCIM. I know Nikon and Sony are doing something similar with folders holding only 999 photos before creating a new folder for additional images on an SD card. But I don't know why you'd see only a few photos in folders. I transfer photos to my computer and then delete from camera roll, so I've never had that happen. When I connect to a PC all I see is one folder.

7. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

cool tip thanks!

----------

Like i said, it has always split them into folders but typically i would have only 4 folders and it would split (a little over 100) out of the 3-4 folders. This I could deal with.

just lately it seems like it separated them between 20-30 folders

----------

It was humorous and I agree, but not very helpful

8. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I had so many problems with the way it's organized, also strangely when copying the files to my PC I had it randomly stop copying a couple times. It's just a terrible process.

Really sucks that apple still insists on people using garbage like iTunes for this kind of thing.