Photo aligned Retina HD Display.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Caris, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

So overall I'm really happy with the iPhone 6 specs, but the one thing I was a little disappointed with was the resolution on the 6. I was hoping for a PPI of 350+.

But on Apple's site, it says this about the display:

"Higher contrast

Rather than using traditional methods to create the higher-resolution Retina HD display, we developed an advanced process of photo alignment. This involves using UV light to precisely position the display’s liquid crystals so they lie exactly where they should. Better-aligned crystals deliver a superior viewing experience, with deeper blacks and sharper text."

Now I'm not exactly sure what that means, but is it possible they've achived the look of a higher resolution screen with the same about of pixels? Because that's what it's sounding like to me.

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Marketing mumbo jumbo. However I have no doubt that it will still be a great display.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

You'd be able to tell the difference between 326 PPI and 350 PPI?

By all accounts, the iPhone 6 display is great, so I wouldn't worry.

4. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

the iPhone 6 should have been 1080. We'll see when it shows up.

I'm already not liking the fact that the 6+ seems to be the one loaded with specs (more PPI, memory ,etc). My concern is that iPhone apps will be optimized for the 1080 resolution and the 'scaling' being applied to the 6 devices, which sound like might have less capability to process it. :(

5. jamets515 macrumors regular

No. It means exactly what it says... each pixel is better aligned. The advantage being there is less light leak between individual pixels and a higher contrast ratio as it is capable of displaying deeper blacks with the absence of light leak.

As far as the visibility of the pixels goes, it will be the same as any other Retina display. There are just more pixels on the display because of the increased size to 4.7".

6. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

That would require a 469 PPI display. ;)

7. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Like the HTC One that came out last year?

8. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Sure.

I'm dubious that a pixel density that high is even discernibly different than something in the mid-300's. Driving all those extra pixels will also require more power, which means more drain on the battery.

In other words, a lot of cost for a payoff that may not worth it for a mid-sized phone.