Photo App - Where are the Videos I've Imported!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trackbikes, Feb 8, 2016.

1. trackbikes macrumors regular

I've just spent an incredibly frustrating afternoon with Photos's. I've shot 3 videos, A Roll on my Canon and B roll on my iphone 6s.

I've connected both to my imac

I've fired up my video editing software.

Can't find the Files anywhere!

I can see them in photos but can't drag and drop them and spotlight and finder don't find the file names

In the end I had to do the following.

Import 1 video - Go to last imported- Drag it to a Folder I made

Import the next then do the same etc..

I am obviously missing something!

Any tips for finding the videos or even better having them imported to the folder as soon as I start Import

2. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

First of all, the files are probably in a file called Photos Library, or something like that. It's not just a file, it's actually a package, so if you right-click on it and select "Show Package Contents" you should be able to navigate to the import folder. You can streamline this by importing everything in the video editor and skipping the middle-man. However, that all depends on which editor you're using.

3. trackbikes thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks For the reply, I use Screenflow , don't think I can import from the camera in that.

I checked the package content Didn't see any inmport folder in there

4. Dave Braine, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Just be very careful rooting around inside the Photos "package". Moving/copying/deleting files inside there will seriously corrupt Photos. Best to do everything from within the Photos application.

You should be able to drag and drop them into Finder. Your video editing software should then see them.

There isn't one in there.

5. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I agree, don't alter the photos or remove them from these folders, but you can copy them without any negative effects. I forgot that it sorts the imports by Originals and Masters, so you can find them in each respective folder. They are also sorted by date.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

If you can see the videos in the Photos app but can't drag and drop (drag and drop works with some apps, but not others), then use Photos > File > Export. There's an Export Unmodified Original... option, as well as options to export in other resolutions/qualities.

If you simply want to import your images into folders in Finder, then use the Image Capture app instead of Photos. As other have noted, Photos (and iPhoto and Aperture) store Master images inside the library "package." For that matter, most apps are also packages. Packages are designed, in part, to keep people from stumbling over the contents of a package in the course of a routine Finder search and mucking things up (non-functioning databases, non-functioning apps...). Packages help ensure that if you move an app (or photo library) that everything is moved.