photo attachment problem in Mail and iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by taijuan, Jan 8, 2009.

1. taijuan macrumors member

My mother has a Intel mac mini running 10.5.6 and has a problem sending photos from iPhoto to windows computers. She is using the previous generation of iPhoto i believe.

1. She selects a photo in iPhoto
    2. She clicks the email button on the bottom
    3. She selects medium size
    4. the photo opens in a new Mail message

(so far no problems - i watched all this with screen sharing - cool)

5. She sends the message to apple and windows users
    6. Apple users have no problem saving the attachment
    7. Windows users are not showing an attachment in the message header, but can see the image in the message body and when the image is right clicked and and the image is saved, windows responds that it can not find the image (the image can be seen in the body of the message)
    8. Now you're all going to tell me it's a windows problem, but get this.

9. If she drags the photo out of iPhoto and onto the Mail icon (stamp) in the dock, windows users can save the photo no problem. The problem is that doing this requires her not to resize the photo. I know there are other ways to resize and then mail the photo, but this is my mother we're talking about.

10. In mail, I have gone to the edit attachments menu selection and tried checking always send windows-friendly attachments. On or off this has no effect.

You guys have any thoughts on how to fix this?

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't know how to fix the problem, have never heard of it before. But, I do have a workaround for the sizing issue. Select the photo in iPhoto, click on File>Export (not at the mac right now, but think that export is under file). She will be prompted for size, she can choose, and then export to her desktop. Then it is easy to add as an attachment to an open email message.

Hope somebody can solve the original problem for you!

3. icemantx macrumors regular

I am having the same problem with photos sent from iPhoto to Windows users - specifically those using Windows Mobile. My Dad has iPhoto '07 and when he sends photos they show up fine on Windows computers and Windows Mobile.

Has something changed with iLife '09 and how photos sending from iPhoto are embedded into emails?