Photo back up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cain772, Mar 5, 2015.

1. cain772 macrumors member

Besides Time Machine, what's the easiest way to back up my photo album automatically?

2. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I use Microsoft OneDrive. Unlimited back up free if you own Office 365. If not, you still get a TON of free space. Not sure how much right now.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Make an alias

Make the folder an alias, move the original to Dropbox.

Works super well for me, as I never have to worry about my photos going anywhere, as Dropbox is attached to three computers, with separate backups on all three (my parents, mine, and our media server).

Sure, it costs money, but $100/year is easily worth it for things that absolutely cannot be replaced.

4. cain772 thread starter macrumors member

Any way to do it with back up software that's reasonably priced?

5. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I just checked and OneDrive gives you 15GB of backup free. I think you get another 5GB by accessing it from your iPhone or iPad.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

HUh?

$8/month isn't reasonable?

7. cain772 thread starter macrumors member

What I meant was that I want my photos backed up locally. Not in the cloud.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can find other cloud storage for less $$. DropBox is clearly out priced at this point. You can look to Google, Microsoft and copy.com

9. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Get a free account at Flickr: you get 1TB of free space.
    Install the new Flickr Uploader app, follow the instructions and all your photos will automatically be uploaded in the background. It will upload them in albums, etc. Then your photos are available for viewing, sharing, editing (in their online app), or downloading on your iPad, iPhone, or any other computer. Works quite well and is free.

10. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Using the cloud is probably the most economical. But if you want local, then I'd guage how much you need.

You can get a 2TB external drive for $100 or so on sale. And if you just need a little space, you can get 128GB USB flash drives for about $50 on sale.

11. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

For local backups there's nothing easier than Time Machine. It's built into the OS, and when you plug in an external drive for the first time, you're automatically asked if you want to use it for Time Machine. Any other local backup solution requires additional steps to install/setup (though afterwards, there may be no further difference - any proper backup software/solution should be automated).

Is there a reason you're looking for something other than Time Machine for local backups?

12. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Carbon Copy Cloner - CCC. Can backup to a number of destinations. I use it in conjunction with time machine and Crashplan.

Using OneDrive or Dropbox is not a backup as it doesn't do versioning automatically. If you hose up some photos and don't realize it for some time, the sync will have wiped out what is on the server.

13. christianboyce macrumors newbie

christianboyce

Dropbox does store older versions of things. You can go back 30 days, unless you pay more. In that case you can go back a year. This "version history" feature has let me rescue a handful of files over the years.

See this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/113

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

Time machine is probably the easiest way to do a local backup. I use CrashPlan and Dropbox to backup my machine, though.