Photo Booth save path

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mongrol, Nov 9, 2007.

1. mongrol macrumors regular

Is there a way to change the save path of Photo Booth? I share my pictures fodler with my girlfriends user. Its in /User/Shared/Pictures and we both have a link to it. However, for some reason Photo Booth errors when I take a photo saying it can create folder /Users/mongrol/Pictures/Photo Booth. Permissions are both ok with both users able to write to it. Is there a way to change this save path?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

How about this:
    move your photobooth folder to the /shared/Pictures/
    in your Pictures folder, put an alias called Photo Booth pointed to /shard/Pictures/Photo Booth

3. mongrol thread starter macrumors regular

That isn't going to work. I don't have a Pictures folder, I have a link to shared/pictures instead. You can't have a folder and a link with the same name . I also don't have a photobooth folder to move, since it can't create one.

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

What type of link do you have. Is it an 'alias' (made with 'make alias' in the finder), or it is a 'symlink' (made with 'ln -s' in the Terminal).

If it's an alias then I expect that will be the cause of the problem. You can create a symlink by removing the alias and typing this in the Terminal (checking the paths are correct obviously) repeat for each user.

Code:
    ln -s /Users/Shared/Pictures ~/Pictures
    Hope this helps.

5. mongrol thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, got it working with a symlink. I didn't realise aliases were not the same as symlinks. Thanks folks.

6. BrianFD3S macrumors member

Awesome, thanks a lot. I too was wondering why my aliases weren't working.. all sorted now.

Definitely worth dragging up a year old thread to thank you for this :)