Photo Booth, Stickies, and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thebassoonist, Sep 1, 2009.

1. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Hi all!

I did my best to find this topic via mroogle, but couldn't find it. So here goes.

Both Photo Booth and Stickies no longer work! Agh! Here's what my Mac is telling me:

"You can't use this version of the application Photo Booth with this version of Mac OS X. You have Photo Booth 2.0.3."

And

"You can't use this version of the application Stickies with this version of Mac OS X. You have Stickies 6.0."

What can I do? I can't find any updates online or with the Software Updater.

Thanks much!

2. devburke Guest

Yeah, I have 3.0 and 7.0. I guess for some reason when you upgraded, those two weren’t touched. I’m not sure what you can do other than reinstall (although someone else might know, so don’t go do that just cuz I said so)

3. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

4. propwashsw macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard Applications Issues

You're not alone. Since I installed it today, I have about a half a dozen programs that are not working as a result, all of which came with my Mac Pro preinstalled.

Upon reading some comments on CNET, it seems that Apple jumped the gun on many of their software developers by pushing it product out prematurely. I always thought that was a Microsoft trick!?

Anyone find some fixes for me, please let me know. As of now, I'm just testing each one and listing them for a One on One session I have scheduled for next Monday. Fortunately for me, none of the programs are vital to my use of the computer save for "Preferences" where I can't even access that!?

Steve

5. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Yikes! Preferences would be very bad to lose.

6. hartman442 macrumors newbie

Im having the exact same problem. Im on hold with apple as we speak.

7. reubs macrumors 68000

Strange. My Stickies and Photo Booth both upgraded fine, but I don't have all of my PB pics there. I'll have to see if they are backed up somewhere...

8. propwashsw macrumors newbie

Figured Out How To Fix Snow Leopard and Non Wkg Icons!

If you hadn't figured it out on your own, then perhaps you can try what I did.

I'm still fairly new to Macs and like us all may be stuck in our ways with how we arrange things on our desktops. What I had done for me was to categorize all of my icons into locations that seemed to work for me on the dock. I had created alias icons instead of using the main apps on mine... kinda weird.. I know.

If your apps aren't working from the spot you've placed it and it gives you that incompatibility message, then go into your Apps folder and try to activate the software from those icons! That did it for me!

So... because I'm so anal with my layout and want to keep it the same, all I did was to replace the old icons... (trashed the ones that didn't work) and made new alias' in their place and back working again.

I suggest you make a complete list of each program that fails to open in the same manner and do each one, one at a time, then replace the original back in the apps folder and you should be back in business.

If you need more help on that, then let me know... maybe I'll do a complete step by step on here if this isn't detailed enough.

NOTE! I'm not a MAC guru... I just stumbled upon it and it worked.... most likely it was my old alias that failed because they were tied with my old OS!?

Steve

Let me know!

9. devburke Guest

Why would you put aliases in your dock instead of the actual programs?

10. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Steve!

I am so happy I came back to check this. I had put my favorite applications into a file within Applications (in an attempt to keep my dock clean, but still have the applications handy in a folder next to my trash). Anyway, when I started the program from the Applications folder it worked! So Snow Leopard wasn't aware of where I had put the applications.

All is well and thank you so much for the tip!

-Natalie

11. rjb macrumors newbie

rjb

Answers:
    Reason 1: I have seen posts where people have poofed their dock icons and could not retrieve them, thus were asking how-to.
    If you move the actual app to your dock and later pull that stunt > Poof... you're pucked

Reason 2: App Suites like Adobe's CS3 or 4 don't put their stuff in a folder and just pile most of it all over your apps folder. They make a mess of it and spread a bunch of other critical files all over the drive... if you move the primary app icons they start complaining and goofing up.

2B: After awhile we accumulate a tremendous amount of apps in our apps folder; moving some of them might mess something up [though not usually] on the off chance when something expects to find the app in a certain place.
    (*NOTE: Yea I know most crApps are self contained, but high dollar pro wares spread out all over your system and can break if you start moving things.)
    Summary:
    If you wan't to organize your apps in corresponding folders on your dock or wherever...
    i.e; Design wares in a Design folder, iCrap in a iCrap folder, various browsers and web junk in a Browser or Web folder, WinBlows crapps (if you had the need for them), in a WinBlows folder...

All aliased, (drop the '.app.alias' off the file name) and organize to your hearts content leaving all your apps in their developer mangled chaos of an applications folder, safe and sound in case your kids, cat, dog, girlfriend, wife, mother, boyfriend, husband, or some other freak comes by and starts hosing your visible apps.

That's WHY :D

12. rjb macrumors newbie

rjb

Ps...

Yep, most of the issues relating to incompatible versions are due to the alias pointing to the olde version and not the *NEW one in your apps folder.

*Stickies V7

'info' the file to see the version number.

I'm a newbie cuz I don't post here much... go figure, guess I should close my business until I rank here. ha!

13. devburke Guest

That’s not true at all. If you put an app in your Dock, it doesn’t move the app, it’s still right there in the Applications folder, and you can easily add it right back to the Dock.

OK, so that’s a reason for creating aliases for use in the Finder. But why not add the actual app to your Dock instead of the alias? Again, the app doesn’t actually move, so everything will work just fine, and you won’t have that annoying arrow on the icon.

It seems to me that either a) you mistakenly think that adding an app to your Dock actually MOVES the app (which it doesn’t), or that you’re talking about creating a Stack of aliases, in which case I can see the point. But then you’re not adding aliases to the Dock, you’re adding a folder that contains aliases to the Dock.

14. rjb macrumors newbie

rjb

Thank you devburke

True - my bad... fuzzy brain, didn't think it through / not getting enough sleep

True again, thanks for the correction.
    However, for those who hate the arrows, visit this link:
    Remove or modify alias arrows

Stacks are the point.

15. bob32818 macrumors newbie

Great Tip

:cool: That was the magic for me, Just now ran across this problem with same two Apps,Both Photo Booth and Stickies. Guess I have not used them to find out ,till now, THANKS AGAIN.