Photo Business Cards?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Melizard, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

I thought this would be the right forum to ask... do any of you use photos in your business cards? I assume most photographers would, but what about non-photographers?

I'm a geologist and I want to personalize my business cards with some photos I've taken, but I'm not sure if it looks tacky. I am thinking about putting a photo on the back of each card. The photos would be related to fieldwork or geology in one form or another.

Here are some possible photos I could use. I would really love some feedback on whether this is a good idea or not, and which photos look the best. Or even post your own business cards or ones that you like to give me some inspiration. All critiques are welcome.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Business card 1 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Business Card 2 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Business Card 3 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Business Card 5 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Business Card 4 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Business Card 6 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Business Card 7 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Business Card 8 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Business Card 9 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Business Card 10 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Non-related cards don't work for most businesses. However, I think so long as you stay away from the darker ones you should be fine. Personally, for a geologist, I'd go with 8.

Paul

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

I think the card photo has to somehow relate to the use of the card....so as Paul suggests, #8 seems to work best. I don't know that I'd put the place name however. Where the image if from is not really that important, I think.

I would think it would be unusual for a geologist to put photos on their cards... which means it may be a conversation starter. Someone is going to look at the photo, be curious, and ask about it... where it was taken (another reason not to tell them the location on the card), did you take the photo yourself, etc. I figure getting into a casual conversation about photography with potential employers is probably a great way to move that resume up towards the top of the pile.

Good Luck.

4. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

3, 7, or 9

All eye catching, suttle and draws attention to the card. My opinion, but it is what stood out for me.

If you happen to place your card with other prospects I could see yours standing out. Not to busy and just suttle to the eyes.

5. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

3, 5, 6 & 8.

Your photos are really beautiful but if I were you I'd work on the text integration more, as I see it now it interferes with the photo. Maybe ditch the serif font, go with something more subtle like Helvetica Light ? I also think it would be better to group the text together instead of having them in different corners.

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Why the Linkedin address instead of the more traditional email, phone number, your own website, etc? Do you have anything printed on the reverse side?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've seem some terrible photo business cards. I agree with compuwar that #8 is best suited. You'll have to really find the right font, color, and point in order to really allow the card to give the info you need. Otherwise, you could use the back which is what I've done.

8. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Before I retired , I used a photo business card for years . It worked real well for me . ( now my cards just say ' Retired Guy ' ). Of the cards you have , #8 is the best IMHO , as it reflects your profession . Like others have said , agonizing some over font , size ,color , and text layout can pay dividends . You want to do this right , a good card projects competence , and helps people remember who you are and what you do .

9. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

No offense, but it does look tacky. It does not look professional. If you were a photographer, that would be a different story. You would be much better off having a well designed business card where your contact info stood out more.

Very nice photos though!

10. Melizard thread starter macrumors 6502

Melizard

Thank you everyone for the input!

Just to clarify, my contact info is on the other side of the card. It's a traditional design. This is intended for the reverse side just to draw attention to the card, and maybe jumpstart a conversation.

I already have traditional cards, I just wanted to experiment a bit.

I think #8 will be the one I go with, and I will only include my name as text. At least once it's printed then I can judge if it's tacky.

Thanks again for the comments!

11. likeavaliant macrumors regular

Is there a point of having your name on both sides of the business card?

I wouldn't put a name on the photograph side. It's a photo, let it do it's work without obstruction. People can get the relevant information on the other side of the card.