Photo Comparison Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tennisnut, Sep 1, 2010.

1. tennisnut macrumors newbie

I have what I believe are duplicate photos that have ended up in 11 different folders across multiple drives. I am trying to get rid of many of the dups, but need to compare the photos quickly if possible to confirm I am not getting rid of items I should be keeping.

I have looked at the online material for Aperature and Lightroom and am not sure if either of these will allow me to do this. I have been using finder but that is a painful process as I need to have 11 windows open and keep jumping back and forth between windows. There has to be a more efficient way to get through this.

So, I am curious if either of the programs I mentioned would do the trick, or some other software? Programs like PSE really don't help for this. Adobe Bridge was somewhat useful but also needs multiple copies of the program running at the same time to use multiple folders.

Appreciate any thoughts on this. Many of the folders are scrambled from moving things improperly from iPhoto (please don't ask - that's a whole story unto itself) and various computer crashes.

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Try Mroogle to search this forum, it's in my signature. I know this question has been asked before.

In the past, I've used Tidy Up! to do the exact same thing you're trying to do. Search for files using criteria like, same modified date, same size, same name, etc... It's a one-trick pony of an app, but I thought it did a great job for what I needed, which was get rid of duplicate pictures and documents.

3. DJCeeJay macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem - having several copies of the same photo in iphoto - and found Duplicate Annihilator useful.

http://www.brattoo.com/propaganda/

It is shareware and you can try for free with up to 500 I think, then it is $8 for full version. I freed up 13GB in duplicates, so well worth the $8.

Regards, Christof

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Lightroom gives you the option not to reimport "suspected duplicates". Again, you can get a free trial from Adobe.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

ViewIt has an option to search for duplicates. I've used it a number of times and is handy. Unfortunately it only finds exact duplicates, so if there's any differences it won't match.