Photo Editing - 17" or 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hotelfive, May 31, 2010.

1. hotelfive macrumors newbie

I am gonna be buying a MBP in the near future and have done a ton of reading on the 17 vs 15 inch version. I am so torn! My main use of the MBP will be for photo editing (ie Aperture and Photoshop) as I have a part time photography business on the side. Does anyone who has a 15" find it suitable for photo editing, or would you say the 17" is the way to go for the extra real estate? In terms of portability, I am not super concerned with the added size of the 17". It will be replacing my desktop so the size is really not an issue for me.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mirabella macrumors regular

I use my laptop computer primarily for photo editing.

I used to have a 15". Sure, it's suitable for photo editing – if you can only afford a 15"/must have the 15" for whatever other reason, then yes: it will do the job adequately. That said: The 17" is the way to go, if you can. It's way better for photo editing.

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I do quite heavy photo editing (I use photoshop CS4 primarily, Aperture sometimes), as well as quite a bit of video editing in final cut, do some drawing too in Illustrator. I'm more than happy with my glossy 15" MBP. So yes, it's definitely possible, and works quite well.

However, as you said you're going to be using it as a desktop replacement, I'd go for the 17" too, in your case. We all know that what concerns image editing, more screen real estate is always nice. For me, the 15" is a compromise between screen size and portability (I do take it around with me on occasion / travel with it). If I wanted a desktop replacement and portability wasn't an issue, I'd no doubt get the 17 inch version.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I think you're really answering your own question, right? I use Lightroom and Aperture and I definitely like my 17" MBP for that. Also, the Lightroom (especially) is fantastic in a dual-monitor setup.

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Having owned both, I'd say go for the 15" and add an external 20"+ monitor. You can use both screens if you like, and it is easier/lighter to carry around.

6. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I would go with the 17" for sure. That's what I have used for the last 6 years. I love the extra room.

7. banalelectric macrumors member

No question, 17" AG will better suit your needs. For photo editing, it's the difference between "perfectly adequate" and "awesome".

For what it's worth, I was also initially concerned about the size of the big boy in terms of portability and overall footprint, but several days into ownership I can honestly say it's a non-issue. It's no less portable than my previous 15" in practical use. It might be bulky compared to the 13", but for me the difference in weight/size between the 15" and 17" is negligible. You'll get used to it quickly. Moreover, they are so close in price now that it's really a no-brainer if you need the screen real estate. I don't know whether this is the case with every unit, but mine runs quite cool as well, which I imagine is helped by the slightly larger chassis.

Granted, you should take my opinion with a grain of salt as I'm still in the honeymoon phase with mine ;)