Photo Editing Display for MacMini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wrightsites, Dec 18, 2009.

1. wrightsites macrumors newbie

Hi all:

I am about to purchase a MacMini and am wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to a good external display. I primarily use the computer for photo editing and website design/development, so I thought a matte (antiglare) display would be best. Up until now I have used PC laptops - this is my first foray into the Mac world, so any advice would be great!

P.S. I am living in Japan, so a Japanese maker or Korean maker display would be best, I think...

Thanks!

John

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'd look at the Dell U2410 24" or HP LP2475w 24". Both have H-IPS panels in them.

3. googdot macrumors regular

If you want something slightly more inexpensive, I can highly recommend the Dell 2209WA (E-IPS panel). I have mine hooked up to my mini and use Lightroom and Photoshop for all my photo work.

It's a great monitor for the price.

4. Btom macrumors 6502a

If you are deeper into the digital photography you could consider a professional monitor (like Eizo, LaCie, or other companies) and a MacMini. Those monitors come with color accuracy and a number of features not usually found in regular computer displays (no yellow ting there:)). And they are actually not THAT expensive.

Tom B.

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Don't forget the Apple 30" Cinema Display.

It's still very, very good and in Matte.

Have Fun,
    Keri

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Don't you need a dual link adaptor to run it? (and aren't those D/L adaptors a bit dodgy?)

8. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I also run the 22009WA. Highly recommended. And for $220 (what I paid) cant be beat.

9. wrightsites thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for all the recommendations....yes, I wish the 24" Apple Cinema Display came with a matte option.....but the Dell monitors seem like the go. Cheers!

10. wrightsites thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm....checking out what is available here in Japan, I come up with the Nanao FlexScan S2433W as about the only viable option.....but it's not IPS - it's VA......... is IPS really necessary???

11. wrightsites thread starter macrumors newbie

The other option is a Dell 3008WFP, but price is getting up there a bit...

12. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I've been using my 20" Cinema Display forever now and it's still just as beautiful as it ever was :) You could always go for a used Cinema Display - they really are beautiful, high-quality displays that hold up for ages.

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If it's this display, then it should have an 8-bit PVA panel in it, which is functionally equivalent to an IPS.

14. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. I purchased a 20" display ages ago and would never consider replacing it. I did, however, find a matching display at a discount, and now that the mini supports two displays have side-by-side Cinema Displays.

15. wrightsites thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, CaveMan, it's the same monitor. Seems Eizo is marketed over here under the Nanao brand. Considerably cheaper than the Dell as well :)

16. DavidG328 macrumors regular

And a large wallet :D

17. wrightsites thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi - I want to thank everyone for their advice and recommendations. I actually ended up going with a Dell UltraSharp 2709W - they had one here that was going for about $600 new so I snapped it up. Hope it connects well to the new MacMini! :)