Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hi !

I have an ipad and wanted to know two things :

1- What is the best way to transfer photos from SD card to an ipad ?

I was hesitating between :
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MJYT2AM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader?fnode=91
This one, only do sd card, of course.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91
Can I connect usb sd card adapters ? This one has the advantage of using different usb devices.

Note that I need to tranfer RAW files.

2- What is the best raw editing app ?

I planned a trip and I won't have my macbook, only ipad. I was using Photogene app but it's not updated anymore. Which app is the best for raw editing ?

thanks

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
PS express. Haven't installed lightroom on my Mac. Been using it for over a year. SD to lightning reader.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
you can use lightroom (free for dng raw files, not free for other formats and local edits), snapseed (free) polarr (not free for local edits, but very cheap, supports apple pencil, supports dng raws, I don't know about other formats like ARW or NEF

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
thanks !!!
[doublepost=1493992686][/doublepost]looks like there is not a lot of app that open NEF (nikon) files....

lightroom mobile can but need a subscription....

Shoian

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2017
Try Pixelmator for ipad. I have a Nikon and that's what I use. You do have to pay for it, but its pretty cheap... like 4.99 I think

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
FYI guys, this is the app I'll be using

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/mylio/id908787435?mt=8

I can import raw files in Photos with apple dongle and open the raw in Mylio. Works really well with options I was missing from other apps (like masking). Very powerfull app

totally free !!!

it's really a lightroom alternative (with library, folders, rating, etc..)

there even is a macos app and you can sync between them

Last edited:
Reactions: iSheep5S

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
but it looks like PS express doesn't support mask/brush ?

if it's the case, then it's no use in my case...

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
but it looks like PS express doesn't support mask/brush ?

if it's the case, then it's no use in my case...
for that you need Lightroom Mobile, but even Lightroom Mobile is not 100%ok, it supports masking but only oval and gradients, no brush (which is crazy on such a device).
If you convert your NEF files to DNG, you can use POLARR, which has everything you need.

By the way: yes, you can use the usb 3 adapter to connect usb sd card readers, however some of them require a connection to a power adapter

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
for that you need Lightroom Mobile, but even Lightroom Mobile is not 100%ok, it supports masking but only oval and gradients, no brush (which is crazy on such a device).
If you convert your NEF files to DNG, you can use POLARR, which has everything you need.

By the way: yes, you can use the usb 3 adapter to connect usb sd card readers, however some of them require a connection to a power adapter

thanks but as I said, I now use Mylio which support NEF/raw and full brush/mask !

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
question about the lightning to sdcard reader. Does it support only Photos app ? Do any 3rd party app can use it ?

If it's only the Photos app, can I import gopro files too ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.