Photo editing & sharing tips

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BulkHedd, Dec 19, 2011.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I am a very amateur photographer but I recently took some photos of a friend's play rehearsals. I shot in RAW so I would have more editing control and am using Aperture to tweak and catalog them. I've noticed that when I edit some photos and view them on Windows machines they look too dark or reddish but on my MacBook Pro and on my iPhone they look much better.

I uploaded some of them to my PogoPlug and, using the iOS app the pics look decent but in Chrome on Windows 7 they don't.

What can I do?

2. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Sounds like you're using a different computer for Windows if I'm not mistaken. This means that you're most likely using a different monitor and it desperately needs to be calibrated. Most consumer monitors come out of the box with a strong red hue so everything is super red. Chances are the colors on you Mac are much closer to what they actually look like. That being said I'd pick up an inexpensive monitor calibrator like "Huey" and do a quick set up. Hope this helps!

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

It is likely the displays on the Windows systems are not calibrated properly. And, your Macs probably need it, too, but probably not as much as the Windows systems. Of course, you can't do anything about the iOS devices. I've seen horrible default calibration with my work laptop and display. I don't have a hardware display calibration device, either, and without one I can't get my Windows laptop display to match the external LCD I have hooked up to it. Both of those displays look less accurate than my iPad, iPhone and Macs.

4. blacker-s macrumors newbie

Here's a link for a black and white photo calibration.
    from screen to print. I subscribe to the magazine.

http://tinyurl.com/c48sytm

You need a good photo printer and scanner.

You can also get test card calibration pages so you can set up your monitor for the best colour reproduction.

http://tinyurl.com/3cuqqx

You may have also seen them on early Pixar DVDs for setting up contrast, colour and brightness on your TV for best DVD film playback.

If you haven't got a high end professional system it might be a bit hit and miss trying to match up what you see on the screen to what you see on the printer.

Good luck.