Photo editing software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobQuads, Aug 2, 2011.

1. RobQuads macrumors regular

This is a slight twist on the mass of which is the best photo editing software.

I have on route a new (my first) Macbook Air and so looking to move my photo collection to my new mac.

The main mac software packages I am aware of are iPhoto/Aperture/Lightroom/Elements...Photoshop (too expensive)

One of the main requirements I have is that I want the application to work on the actual image file NOT put it within a local library that you then have to export it from the application if you want the actual file.

From my understanding this rules out a number of the applications such as iPhoto which puts all the files into library which it then manages.

I currently use Picasa for simple photo management

So can anyone say which applications let you manage

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. tfa8rva macrumors member

Lightroom is the way to go. I have Aperture as well. But like you, I don't like how it stores my raw files in some database, and the only way to get to that files is to export it from Aperture. In Lightroom, if I need to get to the file, I just right click on the image and then select Show in Finder. I've been using Lightroom for several years, and it just fits into my workflow nicely. I also like how it organizes the files that I import, which makes it easy to go find them on external drives where I have them stored. Furthermore, the user interface on Lightroom just works. I also use elements some, but mainly for some touch up things that Lightroom doesn't handle well such as cloning. But if I didn't have elements I'd survive. They are currently doing a $100 dollar off Lightroom deal.....I just got an email about that. Still considerably more than Aperture through the App Store though......but worth it, if you ask me.

4. Clark Kent macrumors member

You can store your files in your own file structure and NOT in the database file with Aperture just the same as Lightroom.

WOW! :rolleyes:

5. tfa8rva macrumors member

Okay.....I stand corrected. I did in fact find where you change the location of the stored files. However, is there a way to make it stick? I went back and imported another file, and it wanted to put into the Aperture Library, and not the folder I just created on the previous import. Also, the files wound up about 8 levels deep in my pictures folder. Oh well....I may have been wrong about the files just going into the library, but I still think the folder structure of Lightroom is nicer.

6. Clark Kent macrumors member

If you set Aperture to NOT manage your files, it won't move them anywhere. When you import, your original files will remain in their current location and that's always where Aperture will look for them in the future.

Aperture will create a preview JPEG in its library.

7. tfa8rva macrumors member

When importing from an SD card, I would want them to be copied to a new location. Remaining in their Current Location means I would have to perform an additional step. I would need to manually copy from the files from the SD card to the desired location in the folder structure that I created, and then import them into Aperture........or in Lightroom I could just import them right off the SD card and be happy. I appreciate your help anyways, and I apologize to the OP for the discussion in his thread.

8. RobQuads thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the comments. Sounds like its worth having a good look at lightroom and Aperture, both of which have nice 30 day trials so I can have a play without spending any ££

Thanks