Photo editing with iCloud Photo Library "Optimised Storage"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by LERsince1991, Jan 12, 2015.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

When using the iCloud Photo Library and enabling optimised storage, will Photo editing apps (VSCO Cam etc) download the original high res image on import, or will it simply use the cached/ thumbnail which is saved on the device?

iCloud photo library stores all photos in the iCloud and has two setting either to store all the high res originals or to optimise the storage to free up space but it smartly manages the size of the library and only saves thumbnails until the photo is viewed in which case it caches the higher res image.

I have always had the "keep originals" option checked but would like to optimise my library now, however I would not want this to be at the expense of editing low res images.

2. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

Apps have the ability to get the full sized images from iCloud. I know Replay does this. I often take photos and videos on my iPhone, then import/edit them into Replay on my iPad. It says "Downloading Media" and gets the full versions from iCloud.

3. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds good, thanks! Is this used by all apps? I.e controlled by apple, or is it down to each developer to incorporate this properly?

Does anyone know if VSCO Cam does this?

Can I also ask what happens when sharing from the photos app? Such as posting to Flickr, email etc

4. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Any app which tries to access the Photo Library is able to do this ... when you select any "optimized" photo using any app, you will see a small download status icon on it which tells its downloading the full photo and then its available in the app...

5. Joe323 macrumors newbie

So if you open the photo in VSCOCAM or Instagram it will be the original photo in full resolution?

6. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if this is true, I vontacted VSCO about it and got the following reply suggesting they are not sure if it does but are working on it.

"Hello,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us here at VSCO support! We hope you're enjoying the new VSCO Cam. Know that we're looking hard into this & please keep an eye out for any new updates in the App Store that could potentially address this issue!

iCloud albums are currently in beta and we're so excited to see further development that Apple will introduce as the work towards fine tuning this service. Unfortunately we have no control over Apple’s iCloud services. We are currently finding a fix on this current issue. The Community Support team and the VSCO Engineers are working closely to resolve this issue. At this time we're running tests to see if VSCO Cam is importing the thumbnail or the actual file. Either way, once Apple releases the public version iCloud photos - please know that we'll do our best to retrieve the highest quality image possible."