Photo editing with Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chad H, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    I can get a good deal on either a Mac Mini w/ intel core duo 1.66ghz or 1.8ghz. I am getting back into photography(just bought my Nikon D40) and I am either going to purchase lightroom or aperture to edit my photos with. Will either Mac Mini be enough? I will upgrade the RAM to the maxium 2gig almost immediately. On a side not I will be getting a new LCD tv to display this through. Probably a 32" or 37". Thanks in advance.

-Chad

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I use my 2gb 1.66 MacMini for Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom. No problems at all for me (though Lightroom library is on an external drive). I did try Aperture when I only had 1gb, It did struggle a bit. 2gb might help, but you can always try it first.

3. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well nevermind now. The refurb store had a couple I was looking at and they are all gone now. So tomorrow I am just going to go get a brand new 1.83ghz Intel Core 2 duo and install 4gig of RAM in that bad boy. :D

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Stay with iPhoto. It works well for 90% of everyone. It is easy to switch later to Aperure if you wish.

You also may want an image editor to compliment iPhoto. Adobe "Elements" works well with iPhoto. They integrate near seemlessly

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The Mini will be fine but I hope you realize that you need Photoshop as well in order to edit images. For the Person who suggested iPhoto I think Aperture would be much better because I'm guessing he's going to want to shoot in RAW.

6. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

GPU-related tasks are where your mini will take major performance hits. Especially when running a big tv, don't expect to run any core-image accelerated tasks like Aperture with their usual "snapiness".

7. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well I just purchased my mini. I got a 1.83ghz Intel Core Duo refurb for a damn good deal. That model is upgradeable to 2gig of RAM right? Anyway, do you guys think I would be okay with lightroom or photoshop rather than aperture?

8. jtblueberry macrumors regular

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Yes, 2gb is fine.

Yes, photoshop and Lightroom run fine. You can download limited trial versions of CS3 (2days - unless they've changed it) and Lightroom/Aperture (30 days).

Best to try before you buy, you may hate one of the applications.