Photo Editing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bilalo, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

I know you're gonna say there are threads about this, i soent 45 minutes reading and the contoversy was too much. I have simple quetions.
    1. Why would people spend $80-150 on something that does the same thing as Iphoto which are aperture and lightroom since I heard that They are more of managing apps rather than editing.
    2. This is what I want, a photo editing app, by editing I mean i want it to include these things only, I want effects like the one on the camera+ on iOS devices such as black and white, colors, effects like HDR, LO-FI etc u get the point, i know iphoto has but not enough I want atleast 30 different effects or something, now I also want to be able to apply More than 1 effect to the same pic so like I make a quarter of it b&w, a quarter of it HDR etc you get the point, i also want the app to include blurriness, in which i can blur certain parts of the image, and ofcours thatit has normal things like contrast, brightnes etc and cropping as well :) if possible also cutting 2 diff pics and putting them together but that isnt so necessary so which app does this?
    Pixelmator or PSE or what:)
    Thank you

Please dont tell me a comparison of them like in all other threads, just an answer to which one edits like this.

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

Pixelmator is currently about $15/£10 on the App store. There's a free trial from the Pixelmator site.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Simple answers:

1. They aren't the same as iPhoto, not by miles and miles. You "heard" wrong and have more reading to do.

2. Snapseed. Comes from Nik Software, and there's a version for iOS you might be familiar with. But there's also a desktop version. It's strength is filters.

And I second Pixelmator; not as strong in filters/effects as Snapseed, but more versatile in other areas.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Photoshop Elements is fairly cheap (compared to other photo-editing software) and it's great for basic photo-editing. There is also GIMP which is photo-editing software that replicates Photoshop and it is free.

5. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

GIMP may be free but going by the latest version it is also full of bugs and poorly implemented features. It also does not seem like it is a truly native app. Not to mention it looks ugly.

I think people are better of paying $15 bucks for Pixelmator than going with the free (but not bug free...) GIMP ride. Linux is probably the only platform where GIMP runs well, and natively.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Fair enough, was not aware of the specifics. I have admittedly never used GIMP, only heard of it as I enjoy photo-editing as a hobby. I thought I would mention it because I know that it is a free application, but if it's not very stable then purchasing one of the lighter photo-editing applications may be the way to go.

7. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Does Pixelmator have filters that I want and need?

Does PE have over 15 diff kinds of filters and allows applying more than one?

I liked that idea, didn't know snapseed also has a desktop version, I think I will be getting that however, does PE or any other photoediting also have filters as much as snapseed and its other features and so on as well as more things ofcourse?

Thanks everyone :)

8. Nioxic macrumors regular

pixelmator is basically a ... simpler version of photoshop. they have very similar layouts and features but personally i find pixelmator to be easier to use (for non PS-veterans)

But no, its not a simple "touch up this photo"-program. it can do much more.

Considering its price, its the best program per $ you can buy, imo. (part from GIMP? which im not sure works on mac))

9. theluggage macrumors 68030

They both have a selection of filters. I haven't counted them because it's a pointless metric.

What they both have is a free trial version that you could use to decide for yourself whether they offer the sort of filters you need.

They both let you select areas or create graduated masks and apply effects to those areas.

I think I'd go for Pixelmator if I just wanted photo editing - at the current special offer price it's a no-brainer.

Photoshop Elements is more versatile if, e.g., you're converting formats, preparing images at certain resolutions and bit-depths for websites. It's incredible value c.f. full Photoshop and they've done a good job of removing features that only graphics pro's will miss.

The only reason for bothering with Gimp is if you have a strong preference for Free (with a capital F) software.

10. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

11. rboy505 macrumors member

Also, just because you don't see an effect in the filters menu doesn't mean it won't do it. There are loads of free PSE "actions" available which automate a combination of filters on layers. After all, most Instagram type effects for old pictures are just stomping down on some aspect of the image.

My personal preference for pixel editing, while I use Aperture for the first stage, is Elements. Pixlemator's great for $15, but I still prefer PSE for $70 or whatever it is this week.