Photo Editing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lilmissae, Nov 21, 2007.

1. lilmissae macrumors newbie

Is there a better (simple) photo editing program?
    I'm trying to use iPhoto but it's a pain in the ass.
    I have a photo, and I would like to paste another photo on top of the original.
    I'd also like to be able to use the effects on particular points of the photo (not the entire thing)

All help appreciated.
    xx

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Photoshop - THE editor.
    Gimp - Free but not as feature filled Photoshop.
    Pixelmator - New editor to compete with Photoshop. Still missing a few things, but pretty nice.
    Lightroom/Aperture - Photo organiser + editor. Think of it as a beefed up iPhoto.
    Lightzone - Editing tones etc. More of a complement to the ones above.
    There are probably quite a few more, but these are the main ones that spring to mind.

3. lilmissae thread starter macrumors newbie

M@lew, i tried downloading each of those but an error kept coming up. after downloading it, i would try to install it but it would say something like 'error, failed to mount' or something.

4. termina3 macrumors 65816

I'm sorry… but how are you downloading them? I assume trial versions–because there's no way you'd go out and buy each ($$$). If you're using torrents than that's your problem.

5. lilmissae thread starter macrumors newbie

i just googled each and clicked the 'download' button.

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Each of the programs I listed (apart from GIMP which is free) comes with a trial, so it's probably that.

I'm not sure about the DMG problem you are having. Are you sure they have been fully downloaded?

7. lilmissae thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't mind if they are just a trial, but I couldn't even get into the program.
    I would go to the website, click download, watch as the download bar gets to 100% then click 'open' it would say it was installing and then say that an error had occured and the program was unsuccessfully installed for what ever reason.

8. lilmissae thread starter macrumors newbie

OT: I was looking through your photos M@lew. and Wow, I love them, you are a great photographer! I'm from Melbourne and you make our city beautiful =D

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Thanks. :D

As for your DMG issue, does this happen with every single DMG you've ever tried?

10. termina3 macrumors 65816

downloading in firefox or safari? Because I know in firefox the download isn't finished until the bar disappears…

11. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

I would really encourage you to look at Photoshop Elements 4. It has most of the feature set of full photoshop, at a fraction of the cost. If you are just getting started with a high-end photo editing application, Elements is a great way to try something very affordable before you sink the big bucks into the full photoshop.

12. lilmissae thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohh, good idea thanks! I will probably end up doing that if these don't work.

I downloaded with firefox and the bar did disappear and the 'open' option showed up.

I've installed Acorn and other programs before, it seems like only these ones have the error.

No problem, I put a few onto my myspace, i gave all credit to you and a link to your site. Is that ok? I can take them down if you want.

13. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

PM me with your myspace. I just want to take a look. As long as you link back to the image etc. I'm happy for you to keep it on there. :)

Try downloading another DMG of something random, like Firefox or Camino. See if you can open them.