Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
My wife wants to start editing and having fun with her photography. We are overwhelmed with everything in terms of the many Adobe apps and others. She doesn’t want to at this point spend 120 a year on photoshop. But if it’s 10-20 bucks once that’s fine. Then maybe after a while she may consider her more advanced options. She has the 2020 iPad Pro and a decent Cannon Rebel and her 11 Pro Max. Thanks for any advice and input.
[automerge]1590287795[/automerge]

Reactions: Ghost31

Mike82

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Affinity is great, but it does have a pretty steep learning curve. If she is only going to edit photos on her iPad, the lightroom app is 5 bucks a month. You can cancel at any time, so might be worth a try.

Reactions: Ghost31

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Lightroom, darkroom, or pixelmator photo to store, catalogue and lightly edit her photos. Apple photos also works for this.
I prefer to keep my iPhone snaps separate from my regular shoots, so keep Apple photos plus darkroom/pixelmator photo For my phone stuff, and I use lightroom for my main stuff. I’m a photographer for a living though, so she might not want to got down this road.

Affinity photo or pixelmator pro to do more advanced Edits, but these are ‘one photo at a time’ type apps.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Having just picked up Affinity Photo myself, I can attest to the quality of the app. Coming from years of Photoshop, the interface had a small learning curve. Give it a little time and it just “clicks” in most situations so far. I have yet to really push the boundaries of the app but like most here have said, Affinity Photo is a fantastic editor for the iPP

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Raw Power
Darkroom
Pixelmator Photo
Polarr
Affinity Photo
Lightroom
Apple Photos

These are good editors that also offer basic file management. Not expensive, though some have subscriptions.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Capture One Express is free and a minimum amount a month or even a outright cost for pro. It is quite easy to use and i have found it takes less steps to get the result I want than Lightroom. Other than that if she does a lot of panoramas or HDR, the gold standard is Lightroom classic.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
@stillcrazyman I would go for Lightroom in that case. The main niggle is that is is Lightroom CC and insists on uploading all the images to the cloud which you'll never have enough room on their cloud to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.