Photo experts! Looking to getting a Nikon D3000

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by APPLEFAN8, Jan 12, 2010.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I have a Coolpix P80 and I think it's time for my first SLR. I read great reviews on this camera. I shoot a lot of drag racing cars at 200 mph for a couple magazines. So I have the money. I saw a kit that contains the 55mm lens than a 55-200mm lens also included. It's a good deal. It's 650, what do you guys think about the Nikon D3000? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those were some I took with the P80. I think I can have better quality with a SLR camera. Thanks again guys

2. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I like these shots. You've got a good eye. Neither Nikon nor Canon makes a bad camera. The D3000 is a good entry level camera. It comes down to 1) Do you want one that is better? 2) How much can you afford? 3) What are your real needs now and what about later? 4) Are there any "must have" features?

You are out there at the track. I would start by talking to the other photographers. Think about your needs now and into the not too distant future. Try some of the equipment and see how it feels. Remember that everything else being equal, lens quality is more important for a quality image than the body. If it comes down to choosing a more expensive body or better lenses, go for the lenses.

I hope this helps.

BTW: We have an informal "challenge" called the "fortnightly challenge." The theme for this go around is "mechanical." We interpret the themes very broadly and these images are certainly within the theme. I suggest you join us and share in the give-and-take. The address for this challenge is: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=846703

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

dpreview.com gave it a great review - nice enhancements over the D40. I tried one at the camera store and these new low-end Nikons feel great.

You'll be pleased with it..

4. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Thanks guys! Greatly appreciate it. Yeah it seems like a good camera. I just hate when I capture something at the track I need to pre-focus the lens than take the shot. With this camera I can focus while the car is on the move.

5. Rondue macrumors regular

I like the D5000 but the D3000 feels like It will break if you squeeze it too hard. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone let the D5000 be your low end point.

6. dimme macrumors 65816

I think you can't go wrong with the D3000, BUT if you are planing to shoot action such as moving race cars you may want to save up for something like the D90 which will auto focus much faster. Do let me discourage you about the D3000, if you find you are shooting a lot in the future you can always upgrade later and the D3000 will make a excellent 2nd body.

7. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

The max i'll probably end up spending is 650.00. I have the money and shoot every weekend all over the country for a few magazines, hopefully the D3000 will suit me but what other camera's do you guys recommend? Also how much farther can you shoot with a 300mm lens than a 200mm lens.

8. MacCanon macrumors newbie

Dslr

the lens is the most important thing about SLR's. the body is not important, get the least expensive model, 300-500. Any SLR put out by Canon or nikon is great and will work. THE LENS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE SLR CAMERA SYSTEM. You will have different lenses for different jobs. If u r on the track, fast shutter speeds and apertures will come with the lens, not the camera body. I use a Canon Rebel T1i with two different lenses, a 18-55mm and a 75-300mm.
    I personally recommend Canon, but its all a preference. If ur used to Nikon, stick with Nikon.
    SPEND MORE ON THE LENS FOR BETTER QUALITY
    D40 is cheap and great when paired with a great quality lens.

as a photographer myself, hope this helps. let me know how it goes :)

9. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Thanks I appreciate it! I'll look into it.

10. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I'll probably end up getting the D3000 kit along with the 18-55mm lens than end up buying a 55-300mm lens.