Photo Feedback

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Flat4.Tony, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Flat4.Tony, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

Flat4.Tony macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

^ So far, I tried to work the sun best I can. But yeah I know. Need to work the shadows too. Anything else

[​IMG]

^
    What can I do to this shot to make it "better". Lower angle maybe? With this shot, I was trying to capture the sunset along with the car. I was thinking about taking 2 shots, and then merging into one via photoshop to help being the brightness up on the car without having everything washed out.

Edit:

Here some post editing of the first pic.

[​IMG]

2. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

The best way in camera would be to soft light the car from several off camera strobes or whatever and expose for the sky using a tripod probably.

The composition is a bit off, but you probably know this, as your other shots are nicely composed. Maybe you were intending on a crop. It looks like you have legged it up to a random car somewhere and just taken it as a snapshot with a phone just held at arms length..

I would say that the photo would def benefit from a lower shoot angle. A better location would be better I would think to. The background, even if exposed correctly, would be somewhat marred by the buildings etc. Not that you couldn't have buildings, just something a little more interesting. The car maybe should fill more of the frame too.
    The ground is a bit mundane as well. If you want a rustic looking spot, it needs to be 'more' than it is. I think there are bits of litter in the foreground? Probably would have moved them myself.

It looks like its next to the road, I don't know what it looks like, but if you put the car nearer the road, and used it's lines to compliment the shot? Like going off into the distance or something.

The bottom shot is excellent in comparison, could of been taken by two different people.

You are correct also, as a different approach you could indeed take multiple exposures and stack them in photoshop for a better image.

3. Flat4.Tony thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I found the second shot was difficult. It ended up being my best one from that. I guess that was out of my skill level for now. Doesn't help that I was only on a my phone. Haha. The car in the picture is taking up most of my funds. Hopefully I can get a point and shoot with some decent settings.

I was by a road, it was a dead end. They are still doing construction there. The "litter" was actually 2 cement blocks. It was the same area as the first pic just a different angle. I didn't really want to be moving too much of a construction zone.

Both were shot in my neighbourhood. I found a nice dead street and decided to do some point and shoot. I'll try to find some more places around the city and try again. I'll try to put the new knowledge into some use in the new few pics!

4. MimiHome macrumors newbie

MimiHome

I agree - in the first shot, I would pull the car toward the bottom right corner of the picture. This will allow the viewer to see the car freely and not feel like the car is right in the middle of the nice landscape view.

Although, what do you want the focus of your picture to be? The car, or the landscape?

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

My dad has always told me to try and backlight my subjects.

He was talking about people but I think it can relate to cars too. Having a nice backlight allows for a nice hint of light around the rim of the subject and therefore a nice separation from the background in the photo.

Another thing I would suggest for the second photo is to true and block out the sun with the subject as it looks like your camera hasn't got the dynamic range to deal with the shadows and the highlights (even film can only just deal with it). For me the killer factor is the strong distracting highlight on the bonnet, maybe if you had adjusted your position you could have blocked the highlight behind the front air intake?

To allow for this to happen in the you might wanted to have taken the photo a bit later in the day as the sun was lower in the sky.

You'll find that as the ambient light drops you might want to add in some fill flash from your camera or off camera if you have an additional flash.