Photo Frame for in-laws

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DTphonehome, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Hi All,
    Not sure this is the right forum, but here goes.... my in-laws are complete technophobes. My father-in-law has his secretary print out his emails. To his AOL address. That's how bad they are.
    They have kids scattered about, and grandkids as well. I'd like to get them a wifi photo frame that can accept and display pictures with ZERO input from them. Meaning, if I send them a pic, it will come up on the frame automatically. That way, all the scattered kids can email pics to them and have them display with no effort on their part.

I looked at this Ceiva device, which seems aimed squarely at my in-laws' demographic. However, it looks a bit pricey for what you get (an 8" frame of questionable quality), and there's a monthly fee of $7 after the first year. Seems like a lot.

Is there any alternative that simply connects to wifi and has its own email address that can get and display pics by itself?

Thanks!

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You're a step ahead of me. We bought a digital photo frame a few years ago for Grandma Technophobe. We filled it with photos (USB interface). I individually scaled each photo because I found that huge photos took longer to come up during the slideshow. But Grandma is afraid of technical things, even if she has only to turn them on and off, so she rarely used it unless we were standing there to remind her. We switched to stopping by with the iPad to show her the latest photos. :(

The state of the art has improved, if not the prices, so I'll watch this thread and learn what you learn. Maybe it'll help me the next time I want to set up photos for a relative.

3. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, we tried the memory stick method... but the pics quickly got stale, and it was a chore coordinating all the different families' pics.

I'm looking into this Kodak Pulse photo frame. It has a web-based management screen where you can manage pics and settings on the device, from anywhere. Since my in-laws have wifi, it should be a good solution. It's a bit more expensive ($150), but it's a bigger, better screen, and no monthly fees. If you didn't have wifi, I guess the Ceiva frame is the only one with dial-up built in.

4. davidinva, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

davidinva macrumors 6502a

Our niece made three of these for grandparents and uncle and aunt for a gift two years ago. Spent a lot of time - bought one of those film / slide scanners . Long story, none of us use them. And we (the uncle and aunt) are not in the least technophobes. I wonder how many people who have or receive photo frames actually use them. I think the iPad idea is better.

5. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

iPad isn't practical... we all live too far apart.

I think I'm gonna go with the Kodak Pulse frame. It seems to be easily managed from far away, and as long as they just keep it turned on and occasionally harass us to send new pics, it should be the right solution.