Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
A couple of questions about Photo Image Editor. How can I check the version number, how do I change the default font colour, and is there a user manual available? I change the font colour (currently pink) to black, but when I start to type it reverts to pink. I have searched for a manual without success. All help appreciated.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Most app pages on the Mac App Store have info about the app's Developer Website, and info about an App Support page.

In a browser, I searched for the keywords: Photo Image Editor pixelstyle
Those keywords came directly from the thread title, which I assume is the name of the app itself.

What keywords did you search for that had no results?

One of the results I got is this:

At the bottom of that page I see both the app's Developer Website, and a link to an App Support page. (They might be at a different place on the page in your browser, so find the word "support" on the page.)

This is their App Support link:

On that page, I see a link "How to Add Text to Images on Mac":

Reactions: 0rinoco

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did put those words into a search engine (duckduckgo) but didn't come across the link which you gave. In any event, I couldn't do much with the tutorial, as, although it was ostensibly for absolute beginners, I found it difficult to grasp what it was all about, in fact, I fell at the first fence with this:
"Choose the new document preset, transparency of background or type the width, height, and resolution for the document when the “New Image” dialog appears. Then click “Create” to begin working on the new document". By 'new document' I assume he means image, but not sure. I couldn't locate a 'new document' pre-set. Anyway, my main problem was re-setting the default font colour, which I can find no way of doing. As one who used to write technical articles for a living, I didn't find the article too helpful. Thanks, though, for your assistance in this matter. Ah!,just noticed the second link on your post, I'll take a look at that. Cheers.

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
Well, it looks like Photo Image isn't for me. Seems like too many hoops to jump through just to add text to an image. I've been using Paint.net for years without problems but, unfortunately, the program doesn't run on the Apple platform. Guess I'll have to continue copying stuff over to my Windows laptop to do image editing. Still, half a loaf is better than none, I suppose.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You could ask for suggestions in this forum (Mac Apps). Or search for existing threads on the topic.

If you start a new thread, please try to be specific about what you want to accomplish, and what tools you're familiar with.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
It's very easy to add text to an image using the 'preview' app which should be in your dock by default.
In the 'Tools' menu scroll down until you find 'Annotate' and you'll find the options there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.