photo looks different on Flickr

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ridge08, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Ridge08 macrumors member

So I uploaded a picture to Flickr and just noticed that it looks different on their website to either iPhoto or Lightroom on my hard drive. It`s annoying because the intensity of the color (unedited) is much greater on my computer. What`s behind this?

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I saw someone else post pics here before and they were saying something about "color management" being turned on for your web browser. I dont know if this applies to your situation but it might be worth looking into...
    Let me mess around and try to find the option, I cant remember exactly what it was. Maybe someone else here will remember..

Edit: What browser you using?

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Yes, this is what it is. You'll need to enable Color Management in Safari or Firefox. Internet Explorer can't, but the latest version has it by default if I recall.

4. Ridge08 thread starter macrumors member

I`m using Firefox. Also tried viewing in Safari, which looks better than Firefox, but is still not quite there.

EDIT:
    In Firefox, does Color Management mean ticking `Use system colors` and unticking `Allow pages to choose their own colors`?

5. fenno macrumors newbie

what color space are the photos in that you are uploading? if they are in Adobe RGB or Prophoto RGB, you might try converting them to sRGB (Edit/Convert to Profile). sRGB is a smaller color space, but it is the standard for internet viewing. from what i understand, if an image is in another color space, the color information may be misinterpreted when it is put on the internet. my advice (and what has worked for me) would be just to convert them into sRGB before uploading. i tend not to see any changes when i convert them, but if you do, at least you can tweak it in PS in advance.

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

No. Follow this link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891