Photo numbering question...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nippyjun, Jul 27, 2010.

1. nippyjun macrumors 65816

On my iphone 3gs i had photo folders that the iphone created called 100Apple, 101Apple, and 102Apple. On my iphone 4 all the photos were put into one folder with a different name (i can't recall now but i don't think it matters).

I use a pc with vista to backup and sync my iphone. I manually copy my photos (drag and drop) to save them to my pc. Today i noticed that all the photos that i've taken with the iphone 4 are numbered with smaller numbers than the last photos taken with my old 3gs. What it did was find a gap in the numbering in the past and start filling in the gap with lower numbers. (for example prior to my iphone 4 the last photo i took was number 2150, but the new photos on the iphone 4 start at 1567). It seems that on my 3gs there was a gap in numbering where it jumped from 1565 to 1950 and the iphone 4 started numbering the new photos at 1567.

So, when i sort the photos by name the newer photos are in the middle of the pack.

Has anyone else noticed this. Is there a way to stop this. I think i could take a lot of photos and delete them until the numbering jumped forward to where it should be. But i was wondering if there is another way.

Thanks.

2. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

I was bored so i took over 300 photos of the wall, deleted them and then the numbering started where it should be. Unfortunately there are that bunch of photos that are numbered wrong.

3. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

You can always run Automator to rename files and number them from a specific starting point.

I don't have a solution for the iPhone numbering though (I don't own one).

4. stides macrumors newbie

That's just how they do it, it's the same in PhotoBooth on the Mac. Since you can't run Automater since you're on Vista, that won't work. It wouldn't put them in the correct order anyway.

5. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

I think i know what the issue was. I now remember that some time ago i was going to either take or view a photo on my iphone. When i opened up the photo app or camera app there was a message saying "rebuilding photo library". I think that that has something to do with the numbering.