Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
A Magpie fossicking on the ground for insects and the like.

_MG_3140-X3.jpg

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Such a moody shot. It was fun reading the backstory behind that picture -- when I look at a picture, I often times have no idea just how much work into getting the shot just right. Probably the case for most of us.

Also, those Fuji mirorless cameras look so SO MUCH fun. They're so compact! How are you liking yours?

Thanks, glad you enjoyed this image. It's not been as popular on my FB photography page because it's not a sunset or something with swirly, misty water. I do feel the shot was technically more demanding and intrinsically more satisfying for me to shoot compared to my seascapes. I often find that is the case - what I like isn't always what other people like!

I'm glad you like the back story, it's nice to know my typing isn't a waste of time! :D One of my mates winds me up about typing too much! I was also shooting some 6x17 slide film on my Fuji GX617. It's a beast and a true delight to use due to the thought processes and calculations involved.

As for the X-T2, I absolutely love it. Moved from a Canon 5D to this system and never looked back. I've not once used the X-T2 and thought "man, I wish I had the Canon right now." I think that speaks volumes :)

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
A Tree With A View

A view of the Dungeon Range within the Galloway Hills that I'd never get tired of.

The sunshine and blue sky opened up out of nowhere above Loch Dee as I arrived on the shoreline. This only lasted around 15 minutes before some dark cloud came marauding in from the West.

I have to admit I was in a bit of a rush to get some shots as the window of opportunity was closing fast. If I had more time, I might have composed this scene a bit differently. I'm not too keen on the tree intersecting with the top point of Craiglee - but you have to make do with what is in front of you at the time.
However, I do like the leading lines and the intense burst of sunshine on Clashdan Brae of Craiglee.

Fuji X-T2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens using LEE Filters 0.9 Neutral Density Soft Graduated filter.

1/100s / f11 / ISO 200

A Tree With A View small PL.png

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A Tree With A View

A view of the Dungeon Range within the Galloway Hills that I'd never get tired of.

The sunshine and blue sky opened up out of nowhere above Loch Dee as I arrived on the shoreline. This only lasted around 15 minutes before some dark cloud came marauding in from the West.

I have to admit I was in a bit of a rush to get some shots as the window of opportunity was closing fast. If I had more time, I might have composed this scene a bit differently. I'm not too keen on the tree intersecting with the top point of Craiglee - but you have to make do with what is in front of you at the time.
However, I do like the leading lines and the intense burst of sunshine on Clashdan Brae of Craiglee.

Fuji X-T2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens using LEE Filters 0.9 Neutral Density Soft Graduated filter.

1/100s / f11 / ISO 200

View attachment 695940
Very nice.

A rather more humble location. My back garden this weekend.
_DSC2959 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

thirsty_monk

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2017
Slovakia
upload_2017-4-13_7-12-39.jpeg

Another one from Topolciansky park, Slovakia. It's not quite sharp as I would like, but that always happen when I switch camera to the manual mode :). I'm still getting my head around what settings to use. I think I should use narrower aperture settings to get the whole picture looks sharper.

Canon EOS 70D with kit lens 18-55 @ 33, f/4.5, 1/200s, ISO 250

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Good thought processes to have, IMO. I'm amazed at the number of people who produce DSLR, camera or phone near to where I'm taking a pic, and, seemingly without considering the light, composition or anything else, just press the button... and walk away. I love standing around, waiting for the light to change; it's never time wasted. :)

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
View attachment 695968

Another one from Topolciansky park, Slovakia. It's not quite sharp as I would like, but that always happen when I switch camera to the manual mode :). I'm still getting my head around what settings to use. I think I should use narrower aperture settings to get the whole picture looks sharper.

Canon EOS 70D with kit lens 18-55 @ 33, f/4.5, 1/200s, ISO 250

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Your composition is good and the self-critique is helpful; the 18-55 really does need to be stopped down to f8-11 to get the kind of sharpness across this sort of image.

May I ask why you switch to manual focus? Is it practice?

The other reason for softening in hand held exposure is movement. Although 1/200th is well above the kind of exposure time when movement (with this lens) should be a problem have a good look at the soft areas just to make sure at 100-200%.. A bit of pixel peeping when you start out is not always a bad thing.

I hope I am not being presumptuous in thinking you are starting out in DSLR usage, but assuming that is so, have a good look at an experienced photographer's stance; it is quite different to using a phone type of camera or modern point and shoot.

With my apologies if I am out of turn.

Regards. Sharkey

Reactions: anotherscotsman

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Good thought processes to have, IMO. I'm amazed at the number of people who produce DSLR, camera or phone near to where I'm taking a pic, and, seemingly without considering the light, composition or anything else, just press the button... and walk away. I love standing around, waiting for the light to change; it's never time wasted. :)

Ha ha or other elements!

Had to convince Mrs drift to hang around for 20 mins today waiting for a sheep to wonder into a better position ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That's why your stuff looks good! You have the patience for landscape photography.
Pictures verses snaps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.