Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Time keeps on slippin'...

InTheMoment.jpg

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Central California Coast

I mistakenly posted this image in the July photo of the day. I guess I know where I am, just not when.... Foggy day did not offer the best light. Shot at f16, 10sec exposure with 10x ND filter using my Fuji X-Pro1, 35mm lens.

Attachments

• DSCF0604 - Version 2.jpg
    DSCF0604 - Version 2.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 149

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Time keeps on slippin'...

InTheMoment.jpg

Beautiful again! Love how we can see into the water with the polariser, yet still manage the reflections in the upper-portion of the frame.

There you go making me want to visit New Zealand again.

Hehe :p you'd absolutely love it in NZ, and I cannot begin to imagine what kind of magical photographs you'd return with. :)
We're quite lucky here, it's only a stone's throw away from NSW.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Is that Queenstown? Awesome spot.

This is driving out from Tekapo, such a beautiful drive along the lake.
I know the area you mean when you mention Queenstown though, this shot does look like it could come just out from there.
The mini-4WD was filthy after this - the fine dust made it's way well into the door cavities, made sure it was clean before returning to the rental depo ;) :p

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
^^Fantastic shot, a really nice contrast between the colours of the boat and the light-modelled background, dark clouds and mountains.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Not a happy camper!

Recent trip to our local Wildlife Park at Port Lympne

Canon 550d & EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM 85mm, f5.6, 1/13, ISO800

Attachments

• Port Lympne 2012 - 310 (1).jpg
    Port Lympne 2012 - 310 (1).jpg
    858.7 KB · Views: 148

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks, I've been blown away by the last couple of pictures you've posted!!

Thanks, TheDrift. That was a great day (they are both from Tuesday before last). If only all days could be like that one...

rattlesnake ledge-9381 by HowardASnyder, on Flickr

Greetings everyone! I took this photo on a hike last weekend to a place called Rattlesnake Ridge near Seattle. CC welcome

Thanks!

Since you asked for C&C, I'll throw in my $0.02, for what it's worth (probably about $0.02). The scene has some good visual interest with light showing behind the trees and nicely picking out the moss-covered mound. You have a clear foreground, middleground and background (log, mound, trees and beyond), so the photo has some good depth. The tall trees in the background seem to gesture toward the source of the light on the mossy mound, which sort of puts those two realms of the photo in dialogue. As is often the case with woodsy locations, however, you had a lot of 'clutter' to deal with. There are stray branches intruding into the scene, a lot of strong lines that don't necessarily play well together, and the large area of leaves catching light just above the mound is competing with it. Maybe you didn't need to include quite so much in the frame. That moss-covered mound is very interesting, and I wonder what sort of composition you could have found a few steps closer to it.

Education time: Ok, 30 sec exposure @ f/16 = Polarizer + your trusty .3ND filters?? When I grow up in photography, I'd like to be close to where you are now. Do I sound too much like a slobbering fanboy or groupie????;):)

You guessed the polarizer right, but I don't own a 0.3 ND filter. I find that a single stop isn't enough to bother with a filter. If you meant 3.0 ND (ten stops), then yes, that's what I used. And over all of that I had a 3-stop GND. Filter madness!... :eek: ...don't try this at home, kids! :p

Hmm...I like the idea that I could have my very own fan...does this mean I get my own rumors site too? I can see it now: people trying to predict when the next photo will be coming out and complaining that the photos are overpriced and lacking features... OK, on second thought, never mind... :p

Beautiful again! Love how we can see into the water with the polariser, yet still manage the reflections in the upper-portion of the frame.
Hehe :p you'd absolutely love it in NZ, and I cannot begin to imagine what kind of magical photographs you'd return with. :)
We're quite lucky here, it's only a stone's throw away from NSW.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope that someday I get the chance to find out. :)

4.jpg

Kayaker on the Ocoee River. 1/4000 f2.8 ISO 200 @ 10.5mm

Good job on getting us right in the thick of the action. You practically put us right in that kayak!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

I liked the top pic particularly, 'cos the composition just seems perfect: ie nothing to add, nothing to take away, nothing improved by moving an imaginary frame over the image. It ticks all the boxes - 'leading lines', colour palette, lit mountain contrasting with shadowed areas, etc - while not being mannered. And there's a definite Ansel Adams vibe...

The bottom pic just doesn't look right to me. At the most basic level, it kinda looks like two (or maybe three) images joined together... and they seem to remain separate (ie none of the diagonals that hold the top pic together so well). It feels unbalanced, jarring, but I can't put my finger on quite why. Maybe it's just me... :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I liked the top pic particularly, 'cos the composition just seems perfect: ie nothing to add, nothing to take away, nothing improved by moving an imaginary frame over the image. It ticks all the boxes - 'leading lines', colour palette, lit mountain contrasting with shadowed areas, etc - while not being mannered. And there's a definite Ansel Adams vibe...

The bottom pic just doesn't look right to me. At the most basic level, it kinda looks like two (or maybe three) images joined together... and they seem to remain separate (ie none of the diagonals that hold the top pic together so well). It feels unbalanced, jarring, but I can't put my finger on quite why. Maybe it's just me... :)

Many thanks for your thoughts, Doylem. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment at length. I'm not surprised that a long-exposure daytime photo would look jarring to you, since it's a very stylized look that is far removed from your own approach to landscapes. I agree with you that the top pic you quoted 'holds together' in a classic, almost textbook fashion, with diagonals coming from each of the four corners to converge on the 'subject'. For what it's worth, I'll explain my thought process with the balance and composition of the second one. As I see it, the top and bottom are knitted together by the reflections of the trees and distant mountain, which all direct the eye down to the green pool of submerged rocks. The mountain is of course the primary point of visual interest, but I see the pool of rocks as a secondary one that gives visual weight to the lower right part of the frame. I also liked the luck of getting some shapes in the clouds that lead in from the top and echo the curving shapes in the lake bottom, which to me further connects top with bottom. That's how I see it, anyway! :)

BMP84

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Good job on getting us right in the thick of the action. You practically put us right in that kayak!

Thanks! When they "skirt" the class five rapid on this section, they come right along the bank making it easy to get in as close as you want. It's a waiting game, but one that is worth it. :)

Good job. Captures the moment and the feeling.
Thanks!

10.5mm? You (and your camera) must have gotten wet.
Great shot
Yeah, I've always wanted to get that close. I braved the splash, and just went for it. Luckily from shooting skateboarding all my life my "tuck and cover" move is pretty responsive. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.