Photo of the day: December 2011

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by oblomow, Nov 30, 2011.

1. oblomow, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

It's December on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from here when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Atlantis

^^^ Beautiful start to the month, Reef! I like the curving shape of the channel that leads us into the frame.

As for me...I found Atlantis...

[​IMG]

Yes, this is a genuine photograph, not a composite or fantasy creation. I learned this evening that fog can behave just like waves in the ocean, rolling in and crashing against the shore. It moves more slowly than water, but the effects are very similar. In this shot, you can see the closest 'wave' is breaking at the top, sending down some white spray. The 'surf' around the little village is where the last wave crashed already.

3. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

Wow, tell us, where is it? Was this a lucky find? I can't imagine that you can plan this ( as you do with all the other photo's)

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Well, that was my fourth outing in a row to photograph fog, so I was getting the hang of where to go and what to look for. My "Atlantis" is a little village in the foothills of the Kamnik Alps, where I had gone because I knew that I had to get above about 750m in elevation and wanted to face the setting sun (the fog looks a lot more dimensional if you face roughly in the direction of the sun).

But yeah, that particular shot was still quite lucky. I didn't know that the fog would be rolling in such big waves, nor that the waves would be coming right at me like that. In fact, I didn't even know there was a village down there at first. I was photographing that hill to the left of it because I liked the trees covered in frozen fog, and there was an attractive yellow larch even further left that I could get in the shot (I'll post that photo eventually too). After standing behind my tripod for a while, I spotted the little village getting revealed between waves. As I said above, the waves move much more slowly than water, so if you're not standing around just watching the fog, you can miss a lot.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

[​IMG]
    Untitled by r0bbieduncan, on Flickr

This was shot as part of a couple of rolls of film I shot trying to get used to my new (to me) Leica M3. Leica M3, Leicameter MR, Summicron 50mm, Kodak Tri-X 400 film, processed for me then scanned at home on my Epson V700 scanner.

I am quite happy with this, I like the strong lines running through the image. Looking at it again I think I need to crop slightly to remove the vertical wall that is just intruding into the frame on the left.

6. SonicChronicler macrumors member

SonicChronicler

Well, December's POTD is off to a great start with that one - beautiful capture. Your work is inspiring. Now if only my work wasn't so time consuming, I'd be out and about too.

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

It sure is magical looking. The village looks like a little model in that scene. Patience definitely pays off for pictures like this. I'm jealous that you have access to such beautiful places to get pictures like this.

----------

I don't think I've shared this one yet. Anyway, 1st of Dec seems appropriate to have a shot with a Christmas tree in it.

[​IMG]

8. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Snow laden branch

Here in mid-Michigan, we went from no snow to about 10 inches in the span of 6 hours. This branch was literally touching the ground -- usually it is 12-13 feet up!

[​IMG]

----------

Stunning! Keep up the good work!

9. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

A photo I took awhile back but I'm just learning to play around with some post-processing.

[​IMG]

10. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Thanks, designguy79. :) I really like the back-lit branches on the right side of your photo. The way the light wraps around the snow there is terrific.

I'm jealous of me too during the half of each year that I spend in suburbia with no car to help me get out of it. I don't get to do much photography over there. That time is coming again next month, alas, so this thread will soon see a lot less of me. :(

Thank you, SonicChronicler...I get my inspiration here too. :) As for work interfering, I will be feeling that same pain myself soon. The only cure: go crazy with photography whenever you possibly can!

And now a special treat for anyone who clicks this link within the next 24 hours or so: Here is a time-lapse video of the fog waves hitting the 'shore' the very evening that I took my "Atlantis" photo (but earlier, before the sun had set). My husband was making this video while I was shooting stills. The hill furthest out in his video is the same hill on the left side of my photo, but he was more to the right and couldn't even see the little village I was photographing. When I (later) showed him the photo, he was really surprised, saying "Where was that?! I didn't even see that! :eek: " :cool:

11. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The fork in the road just short of the H.M. Jackson Visitor Center aka Paradise.

[​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/100s f/4.0 ISO100 Tokins 12-24 f/4@24mm

Dale

12. someoldguy, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

someoldguy macrumors 65816

Red sails in the sunset ... ( Red is the guy way up in the front of the boat))

[​IMG]

5D , Tamron 28-300@228 , f10@1/500 , iso 200

13. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Sheesh, there are some amazing photos on here already!

Phrasikleia, your recent photos seem unbelievable to me. I'm envious of your time, patience, dedication, skill, luck, and probably half a dozen things I don't even know about. :D Most photos I see, I can envision how it's done and could imagine myself being able to produce the same image, but I rarely come away looking at any of yours like that :(

Here's another one of Dubrovnik...

[​IMG]

14. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

speechless, my breathe has been taken away!

15. TheReef, Dec 1, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Another amazing shot P, breathtaking! (Nice time-lapse too, gnd)

Coalcliff, NSW, Australia. Where the mountains meet the ocean...

[​IMG]

16. avro707, Dec 1, 2011

avro707 macrumors 6502a

Great one, love it! The light, reflections and the motion of the water is very good.

Here is one from me:

Emirates A380-861 A6-EDD slows down after landing at Sydney airport on runway 34 left. The plane wears a decal celebrating the federation of the 7 emirates forming the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah and Umm al-Quwain:

[​IMG]
    (click for larger)
    1/4sec, ISO3200, F/8.0, 260mm. Nikon D3s, AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm F/4.0G IF-ED, Wimberley Tripod Head version II, Manfrotto 055X PROB

It wasn't until it got closer that I realised the little decal at the front of the plane. If I'd noticed it earlier, I'd have not used such a risky low shutter speed!

17. aKCLee macrumors 6502

aKCLee

18. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

These nice comments really put the pressure on me to live up to them. :eek: Really, thank you all so much for the encouragement. VirtualRain, the "half a dozen other things" should probably include psychosis, stubbornness, OCD, imprudence, recklessness, and delusion. ;)

19. pixor macrumors member

Winter Silhouette

[​IMG]
    Winter Silhouette by pixor, on Flickr

I took a walk along part of the Antonine wall today, as it had stopped raining, and the sun was out. Despite it being nearly midday, the winter sun this far north hangs low in the sky, and there were some wonderful silhouettes to be seen. Along the brow of the hill, along with an old stone wall were trees which looked as though they had withstood strong winds for many years.

20. Keleko macrumors 68000

I really like the painted effect you used here. Did you use Topaz Simplify for this? The curly stylizing of the details reminds me of what Simply can do.

21. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Seeing as it's December now and I can sanction the use of Xmas decorations in our house :)

[​IMG]

Gingerbread man figure in a local shop. Taken on my new Olympus EPL1 with the 14-42mm M.Zuiko kit lens F5.4, 1/50, ISO 800 at 38mm