Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Got some luck with the light here.

803_5665.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
View attachment 603354

Taken in an airport on a recent trip......I'm sure there is plenty wrong technically but I am trying to learn lighting and shadows....any comments would be most appreciated!

For a shot in an airport it's pretty darn good. In terms of framing, the area behind his head is distracting from the subject matter. Especially the bright tones of the blue out the window. If most of that were cropped off while maintaining the original aspect ratio it would be better. As for processing, my screen isn't good but the shadow detail seems a bit lost. Post processing with LightRoom or Aperture could bring that up. I like the vertical bars on the left of the subject. Can't say why, though.

If you edit this for framing, keep the knee, hand and paper in the frame. They are key elements.

Dale

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
The other one photo on the short list for the recent bokeh contest ...

Grace
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh

Personally I liked the one you entered in the contest more, perhaps because a little more of the figurine was in the shot. To be honest, it was one of my favourites from last week's contest although you have to take that with a grain of salt since I haven't taken the time to look up the meaning of the term "bokeh" yet.

I especially liked that it was playful but fashionable at the same time, like a caricature of a model, and also that it was clearly shot for the contest.

Cheers

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Personally I liked the one you entered in the contest more, perhaps because a little more of the figurine was in the shot. To be honest, it was one of my favourites from last week's contest although you have to take that with a grain of salt since I haven't taken the time to look up the meaning of the term "bokeh" yet.

I especially liked that it was playful but fashionable at the same time, like a caricature of a model, and also that it was clearly shot for the contest.

Cheers

Thank you, kind sir - to be honest the main reason this photo was rejected for the comp was that I forgot to dust her!
You can see it on the top of her head if you zoom in.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
View attachment 603354

Taken in an airport on a recent trip......I'm sure there is plenty wrong technically but I am trying to learn lighting and shadows....any comments would be most appreciated!
Ultimately if you like a picture, then it doesn't have to mean anything to anyone else unless your trying to sell it.

I like it personally but I like "street" in b +w

GForensic

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
For a shot in an airport it's pretty darn good. In terms of framing, the area behind his head is distracting from the subject matter. Especially the bright tones of the blue out the window. If most of that were cropped off while maintaining the original aspect ratio it would be better. As for processing, my screen isn't good but the shadow detail seems a bit lost. Post processing with LightRoom or Aperture could bring that up. I like the vertical bars on the left of the subject. Can't say why, though.

If you edit this for framing, keep the knee, hand and paper in the frame. They are key elements.

Dale

Dale, (and others) thank you very much for your responses. I have followed these POTM threads for a long time and in my humble opinion there are some incredibly talented people on this forum. Any help or criticism at all especially from this group is always welcome and greatly appreciated! As far as this shot, I just happened to be waiting for my flight and something just struck me as I was looking in this man's direction so I snapped a couple of quick shots without him noticing....lol.

GForensic

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
Ultimately if you like a picture, then it doesn't have to mean anything to anyone else unless your trying to sell it.

I like it personally but I like "street" in b +w

Flunky....sorry to sound silly but what do you mean by "Street"? Are you referring to B+W?

Thanks!!

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Visiting cornwall for a few days, really struggled to get the tripod steady but first time attempting cloud like water with an ND grad. Very cloudy day so had to really play with the sky to get a nice picture.

hoping for the sun to come visit tomorrow so i can attempt again for st Michaels mount.

Comments welcome! Couldn't pick which one but as it's the same thing i reckon that'll be okay ;P

23393752052_dc9a6f5fbf_b.jpg

22874052634_d1618daca2_b.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Visiting cornwall for a few days, really struggled to get the tripod steady but first time attempting cloud like water with an ND grad. Very cloudy day so had to really play with the sky to get a nice picture.

hoping for the sun to come visit tomorrow so i can attempt again for st Michaels mount.

Comments welcome! Couldn't pick which one but as it's the same thing i reckon that'll be okay ;P

23393752052_dc9a6f5fbf_b.jpg

22874052634_d1618daca2_b.jpg
Second one for me. Hope you get the lighting for the remainder of your trip.

Reactions: Flunkyturtle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.