Photo of the day: February 2013

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cheese&Apple, Feb 1, 2013.

1. someoldguy macrumors 68000

2. TheReef, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Do you have a link? I went searching but couldn't find anything similar.

Thanks for getting the sticky up to date firstapple! Great job :)

Nice pic! The background works great for the electric theme. How's the Volt going for you?

Back to the beach & humid evenings (click for larger)

[​IMG]

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Been there years ago when I lived back East! Thanks for the memories. I miss the NJ diners out here in the wild west.

4. lharvest macrumors regular

On my way to the river...

I was on my way to the river to take some pictures and I came across this building. Thought it looked interesting.

[​IMG]

5. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Liv

One of the first shots with my new personal D800 (had one at my old job since launch). Great to finally have this 36mp behemoth for my personal projects now.
    [​IMG]

EXIF
    Camera: NIKON D800
    Focal Length: 50mm
    Shutter Speed: 1/30 sec
    Aperture: f/1.4
    ISO/Film: 1600

6. Fractureman macrumors newbie

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

[​IMG]

Randy's Donuts (1960d)

(The 1960d project is a Prontor 125 rangefinder lens modified to fit my Canon 60d)

1/160
    ISO500
    ƒ2.8
    45 mm

8. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

9. jameshill286 macrumors newbie

for me this one is the image of the day..........[​IMG]

10. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Had to catch the ferry to go pick up one of the twins yesterday after a stay with his uncle on Kangaroo Island, this was taken back at the marina when we returned. That's Kangaroo Island in the background, some 15 kilometres away.

Cape Jervis Marina, South Australia.

[​IMG]

11. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Obviously you've had experience through work but having just got a new camera body myself I am loving the low light capabilities. You can pretty much shoot anywhere you want at any time!

Here is a ISO 4000 example. Spot on Autofocus too!

As always, comments are appreciated!

[​IMG]
    Paris by acearchie, on Flickr

12. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I recently switched continents again and am now digging myself out of a backlog of work and finding some time for the forums. It looks like I missed a lot of great photos over the last couple of weeks. Glad to see so many people being so creative this time of year. Alas, all I have to share right now myself are a few comments...

I don't know whether you set up this shot or happened up on it, but it's terrific either way. I'm loving the juxtaposition of nature and technology--both so shiny and so ephemeral.

They look like a couple of starlets caught backstage. It's great how the bubbles fill the space above them. Nice use of B&W.

Very nice with the water pouring into the scene in a rather unexpected place.

Ahh...Plitvice. I was just there a few months ago, standing in this very spot, just a day after all of the beautiful Fall foliage had plummeted to the ground in a windstorm, leaving a battle zone of bare branches as far as the eye could see. Looks like you were there in the summer, judging from the greenness of it all and from that incredible river of people flowing along the walkway! :eek: When I was there, the place was pretty much deserted. Anyway, it's a lovely scene you captured here.

13. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Which continent do you find yourself in now?

Thanks for the comments. I am struggling to get decent colour shots. I just find that B&W is so much easier in terms of lessening distraction. Although I did aim to have this set in B&W some of the other shots that I aimed to have in colour are just lacking.

I also love the way I can alter bright red lipstick to turn almost black!

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Love this. We loved Plitvice. Funny that for the last contest that just ended I posted a picture I took of Plitvice.

15. Keleko macrumors 68000

Thanks Reef! I'm really enjoying the Volt so far. It's a bit of a geek car, and I'm a geek myself, so it was clearly made for me. :) I really like how it handles and rides, and how it looks of course. GM really put a lot of care in the engineering and details of this car.

16. someoldguy macrumors 68000

I end up doing lunch here with some fellow retirees every couple of weeks . Nothin' like a NJ diner to keep you from losing weight. Not too many of the old chrome ones around though.

17. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Now back in Europe after spending about seven weeks in California and Nevada. We have snow forecast for tomorrow, and I simply cannot wait to get out there and point a camera at some of it! :)

18. BarryJ macrumors 6502a

BarryJ

Tilting Harbour, Newfoundland.

I've posted this previously. It's a pano made up of three or four shots. This is the community of Tilting on Fogo Island, Newfoundland. Taken from a local hiking trail.

[​IMG]

19. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

I probably should get a Flikr or photobucket account if I want to participate in this regularly. :) We went to Thailand a couple weeks ago and volunteered at a elephant sanctuary.

Attached Files:

20. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Summer Blossem

All the photos posted on this thread have been pleasant to view. Here is mine for today!

[​IMG]

21. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Where's Tony Stark?

22. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Took this at a train yard here in town. Literally walked in, took about ten shots, and then immediately got kicked out. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    IMG_0685 by HadrianRobinson, on Flickr

23. MCH-1138, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014

MCH-1138 macrumors 6502

MCH-1138

Posted this one in last week's Weekly Photo Contest, but thought I would use it to introduce myself here in POTD, as well.

Comments welcome.

Window Light by MCH-1138, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 • 35mm f/1.8G • ISO 800 • 1/100 sec • f/1.8

Attached Files: