Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*All photos should be your own work (unless special circumstances have been agreed)

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post to maintain all the formatting.

** To see all of our past POTD threads (up to July 2013) please see the sticky thread here**
** To see all of the POTD threads from August 2013 onwards see the thread here**

47e0849223a9aea1e3733c4faf5eb152.jpg

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post to maintain all the formatting.

** To see all of our past POTD threads (up to July 2013) please see the sticky thread here**
** To see all of the POTD threads from August 2013 onwards see the thread here**

47e0849223a9aea1e3733c4faf5eb152.jpg
Please can you add "All photos should be your own work (unless special circumstances have been agreed)", or words to that effect, so that it gets carried forward in the following months.

Cheers :)

Hugh

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
today i am part of an instagram loop for "around the world." i love the town we live in, for the conveniences and access to everything. it's a great place to raise a family.

it's not, however, a very "pretty" town. but we have a fantastic trail 45 mile that cuts through and it is part of my daily halley walk, so thought it would be the only proper photo for this loop.

nikon z6ii + vintage fuji | iso 50 | f/2.2 | 1/2500

Web_January_31_2022_001-4.jpg

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Editing some of the older photos taken in 2010-2011, I came upon this one. I am certain that some of the forum members who live in places where it gets very cold would figure what the subject in the photo is, but I will describe it nevertheless: The Nordic ice goddess, Skadi, created this work of art on a window pane at a cabin I was working at a few years ago. Used a Canon 7D and the EF 100mm Macro.
i-3pdcjJF.jpg

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Editing some of the older photos taken in 2010-2011, I came upon this one. I am certain that some of the forum members who live in places where it gets very cold would figure what the subject in the photo is, but I will describe it nevertheless: The Nordic ice goddess, Skadi, created this work of art on a window pane at a cabin I was working at a few years ago. Used a Canon 7D and the EF 100mm Macro.
i-3pdcjJF.jpg
I remember that sort of floral frost on the inside of my grandmother's windows whenever I stayed there in winter, and I was fascinated by it. The prevalence of double glazing in houses have mostly stopped this happening now, although I've seen it in our wooden work room that has no heating.

My grandparents lived in an area known as the Weald of Kent in England, where there was a particular dip in the landscape and frosts were always more fierce than anywhere else around.

Hugh

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I remember that sort of floral frost on the inside of my grandmother's windows whenever I stayed there in winter, and I was fascinated by it. The prevalence of double glazing in houses have mostly stopped this happening now, although I've seen it in our wooden work room that has no heating.

My grandparents lived in an area known as the Weald of Kent in England, where there was a particular dip in the landscape and frosts were always more fierce than anywhere else around.

Hugh
I had never experienced so much detail on ice forming on glass until I worked at that cabin. The usual ice formations I had seen before had been "sort of" star-shaped and small in size. I had to edit the photo (above): increase contrast and brightness, increase the detail and highlights of the ice, and reduce the amount of dark bluish gray in the background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.