Photo of the Day: July 2010

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phrasikleia, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Photo of the Day: July 2010

It is now July on the International Dateline

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary, and first posted in May, 2006 It was converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors and often exceeds 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest. No winners (or losers), either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post multiple images in one message.

*Quote with Thumbnails - If you quote an image that has tags, convert them to [img] tags before replying. This will post your comment with a thumbnail and save space. Failure to [img] in quotes is still a problem at this time. Help fix that.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. The Moderators like that. Observe the [img] policy here, too (especially).

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

Optional - Describe your photo.Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera; ISO; Focal Length; Shutter/Aperture; Lens.

For step-by-step procedures go to these PDF tutorials.

[URL="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8Y2IzMjdiMmMtNTc2MC00NWUwLThhZDEtYzYwODA0YTM4OWYz&hl=en"]Using ImageShack[/URL]

[URL="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8ZDUxNzIyM2EtM2M1Mi00YWVkLWFhZTUtYzU5YTEyMmMzOTdk&hl=en"]Using Flickr Revised[/URL]

[URL="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8MTU0Yjk4MjMtNGRhYy00MGRkLWI2ZDMtMWUwYWM2NTZmNDkw&hl=en"]Using Quote and MultiQuote[/URL]

[URL="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8MmUxZjk3M2EtMDZiZS00ZmFlLWFmNDctNzY5MzNlNzA1MmJh&hl=en"]How to Edit Your Post[/URL]
    [SIZE="1"]

(Apparently, this is how it's done these days. ;) )[/SIZE]

2. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

The House That Time Forgot: Redux

[​IMG]

This photo sort of brings me full circle at the MacRumors photo forum. It's a retake of one I did in 2008, one of the very first images I ever posted to the Daily Thread. You can see my first version, posted in the June 2008 thread, here.

3. CK Williams macrumors regular

I prefer the new version. Nice shot!!

4. MecPro macrumors 6502

At a house party I was at on Friday, his greenhouse is amazing. Taken with an iPhone 4

[​IMG]

5. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

[​IMG]

Playing with my new t2i (first DSLR), no editing on this pic. Took a shot of the whole guy (who is kinda funny), but since there's only room for 1 pic in this thread, I decided on just the portrait shot and I'll leave it to your imagination what the rest of him looks like.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I like that you used a time lapse to underline the fact that the house is bereft of care.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sleuth

[​IMG]

Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
    Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
    Aperture: f/2.0
    Focal Length: 50 mm
    ISO Speed: 800

8. GregPQ macrumors regular

GregPQ

Beautiful image. It's neat the way you capture both the long-exposure headlights and the well-lit detail of the house. How'd you pull that off?
    Greg

9. georgemann macrumors regular

georgemann

Seattle, Washington & Siem Reap, Cambodia
  10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

A marsh by the river. Yakima, Washington.

[​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/200s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 2.8@65mm

Dale

11. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

The short answer is that I used a tripod. But perhaps you're asking more about the lighting than the detail? I lit the house with three Speedlites, fired by Cybersyncs. Since I didn't have a fourth flash, I had to do a separate exposure and fire one of the three at the road in the foreground; that's how I got some light there too.

12. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

magical, like it a lot, somehow it bring back good feelings of my teens, and summer romances.

13. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Im taking a night photography class, and our recent assignment was 'moonlit' landscape. This was a test shot to find a good exposure(thats why the high ISO), but i really like the tail lights in it so i processed the best i could, but there was a fair amount of noise, and i think might focus might have been a little off as well. I have a couple more from this shoot that I'm still processing. I really like all the fun and interesting things you can do at night Light painting, in its vaguest sense, is extremely fun, but Las Vegas is pretty bright so you have to work quick with the shorter exposure times.

[​IMG]

Exif Info:
    Camera Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
    Exposure 30
    Aperture f/11.0
    Focal Length 41 mm
    ISO Speed 1600

14. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

Just as I remembered it.
    [​IMG]
    Camera Canon EOS REBEL T2i
    Exposure 0.033 sec (1/30)
    Aperture f/5.6
    Focal Length 25 mm
    ISO Speed 2000

15. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

A good way of putting it. The harder you look, the more you see...

Light, to me, is both superficial and profound; it illuminates surfaces, but there's something else happening too... that I can't really put into words. I can understand why so-called 'primitive' people worshipped the sun...

[​IMG]

16. dotmanuk macrumors newbie

first time posting

long time lurker, first time poster on this thread...

a little polaroid action on my first trip stateside...

[​IMG]

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Looks a little bit blurry towards the top of the polaroid, but Grand Central is a pretty poorly lit, neat concept though, will definitely have to try this myself some time. Good job, and welcome to the thread, hope to see more submissions.

18. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, it is a fun concept, one explored pretty thoroughly by another forum member (posting as FrankieTDouglas). You may enjoy his take on the theme here: http://andybloxham.com/2008/photography/polaroids.shtml

I second the welcome to dotmanuk. Posting is much more fun than lurking, as I recently discovered myself. :)

Sounds like a really fun class. That little sliver of the moon in the shot is a real tease; the moon looks to be perfectly exposed and probably would add a lot to the image if it were fully present. I look forward to seeing your final version.

19. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

20. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Cricket... I think.

The difference is astounding. This is why I love POTD, it makes you want to take better images.

Here is mine for today. I just picked up a 1.5x extender for my 70-200 and took a few test shots. It's really hard to get a good image as the extender not only magnifies the image, but the deficiencies in the lens. I might be returning the extender as I have a line on a used 300mm 4L. Of course, I will try them together before making a decision. I may just need more patience.
    [​IMG]

21. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Nice shot - is that Nelson?

22. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Valley of Fire National Park, outside Las Vegas

[​IMG]
    (D60, ISO 200, 50mm, f1.4, 66.7 seconds)​

23. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Yes!!! I wish I would have had more than the three hours my class was out there. Nelsons is like a photographers gold mine, no pun intended. Have you ever been shooting down there?

Thank you! Altough, I'm not sure im going to be able to salvage this pic, but I have one I'll be posting when i get back home, IMO it's better, and only needs a little adjusting in camera RAW.